PDA

View Full Version : Forum to talk about Mr. Show and friends

Mr.Admin
07-15-2003, 03:20 AM
This forum is for talking about Mr. Show and all the great people who were involved in making it the brilliant comedy that it was. Maybe if we're lucky, someday Mr. Show will come back.

Unregistered3
06-09-2004, 04:43 PM
like nobody knows DUH! i am not drunk

CptPlanet
06-10-2004, 12:30 AM
First I was all excited to see a Mr. Admin post but then I was like RRRR!

agent_PUNT
06-10-2004, 11:58 AM
I think it would be great if Mr. Show came back. But If Arrested Development stays on the air David is too busy.

quartersmostly
06-10-2004, 01:57 PM
I don't think it's a great idea. It wouldn't be the same. They probably wouldn't be able to reassemble the entire cast, and there would be too many expectations. I would love to see Bob and David team up again on a TV show but I think that "Mr. Show" should remain the perfect 30 episodes that it is.

RizzleMcIzzle
06-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Then how about this: They could get as many of the orginal cast as they can, even if it meant kidnapping Tom Kenny while he's making episodes of SpongeBob Squarepants, maybe get some new faces, a decent timeslot somewhere (maybe HBO would actually care this time), and a possible name change if you wouldn't want this stuff to be associated with the great 'Mr. Show Legacy' of yore.

There you have it. My idea/runon sentence. Gonna Happen? Don't think so. Can you humor me about it? No, just insult me instead.

agent_PUNT
06-10-2004, 03:29 PM
I'd settle for this sketch-movie that has been talked about... that would be like a Mr.Show reunion of sorts. Anything where BnD can work together would be magical, mystical and/or tour!

What?

apotatojudge
06-11-2004, 02:49 AM
I love the idea of having a forum to talk about my very two favorite shows: mr. show and friends!

i don't know which one is funnier: the car change theives action squad, or when marcel (ross' monkey) keeps humping things.

woop!

-julie.

CptPlanet
06-11-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by apotatojudge
I love the idea of having a forum to talk about my very two favorite shows: mr. show and friends!

i don't know which one is funnier: the car change theives action squad, or when marcel (ross' monkey) keeps humping things.

woop!

-julie.

what

agent_PUNT
06-11-2004, 09:51 AM
that guys name was Julie.... what a weird name for a guy.

Let's get back on topic here... If they can bring back Family Guy, why not Mr. Show?

CarlShowalter
06-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Bob and David have pretty much said that the show had run it's course.
They were offered a 5th season by HBO (granted that it was offered grudgingly and with little support) but decided against it.

My opinion is that they took the format as far as it could go and should just leave the incredible legacy of the show as it is.

Consider this:
Monty Python's last season without John Cleese - not up to the previous standard.
SCTV when they went to Cinemax after NBC dropped them - not up to the previous standard.
The last season of Seinfeld - not good.

Leave the legacy alone, please....

gerald hennessy
06-11-2004, 12:16 PM
The last episode of friends made me cry but we all have the first episode of "Here Comes Joey" or "The Joey Show" or "Joey Island" (whatever it's going to be called) to look forward to. Yeah!!!!

tjamick
06-11-2004, 01:14 PM
i'm still holding out for a spin-off staring ross and the monkey in an "odd couple" setting, or chandler being a character on the new M*A*S*H revival.

quartersmostly
06-11-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm sensing some sarcasim. Friends is funny (pee your pants funny) and don't you for forget it. Like the one episode when Joey did that stupid thing and Chandler had some hilarious coment and Pheobe was doing something wierd. That was awesome.

tjamick
06-11-2004, 02:56 PM
i remember that one, i mean, how can i forget? remember when joey said that one line, and he used the wrong word? that was fucking funny.

whateverman
06-11-2004, 06:07 PM
They were offered a 5th season by HBO (granted that it was offered grudgingly and with little support) but decided against it.

Actually, it was the other way around. Bob and David approached HBO execs about doing a fifth season of Mr Show, (this was about a year after it had ended its fourth season) and were turned down.

In a recent interview, David mentioned that he and Bob had met with HBO execs about doing a 1 hour Mr Show special, which would probably feature stuff from "Hooray for America" . I'm not sure if this went through, since I read elsewhere that they had ALSO approached HBO about doing some sort of election year special, Mr Show style, and were turned down.

I don't think Mr Show will ever return, as we knew and loved it, but I certainly hope Bob and David work on future projects together. Who knows, there may be something even GREATER than what Mr Show was on the horizon.

Ellis D Trails
06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Not gonna make fans with this POV, but anyhoo....Friends was NEVER funny. My wife has watched it for years, every now and then I will stop to watch, and am never amused. The odd thing is she LOVES the show, but rarely laughs. She will laugh out loud with Mr. Show episodes, Black Adder, Python or even Faulty Towers, but will watch friends religiously...but hardly ever laugh.
Personally I find it an embarrassment to American Humor. Mr. Show was one of the few inventive and redeeming comedies in the past 20 years.

I find the Friends episodes completely predictable and unfunny.

As far as reunion shows.....Nah, leave well enough alone.
Have you ever seen the times this has happened? Even the Python reunion stuff is not funny. Cleese got old and boring.
The Black Adder's reunion episode was just plain stupid.

There is something to be said about writers that are in "The Zone".

I have yet to see Season 4, so I am eagerly awaiting September.

But using Mr. Show and Friends in the same sentence is Blasphemy!

Ellis D Trails

agent_PUNT
06-16-2004, 01:44 PM
There was pressure on Python, there was pressure on Seinfeld to end well... the pressure was there because of the main stream hype. No such would exist if the Mr. Show did a reunion. They would be able to have fun with it. Like seeing Kids in The Hall live... they have fun with it. And that's why it could never disappoint.

saying "leave well enough alone" is insane. Why try and turn your friends on to old episodes then, if you are happy with what is out there? Is it because you want them to experience something new and amazing? Well you know what? I want to experience something new and amazing too... and some new Mr. Show would be the fucking best! I agree that if there was some level of unattainable expectations on them re-uniting, then I would say sure thing... fuck it.. don't do it... But seriously... 4 seasons... I mean my god, they had enough brilliance on that staff to go forever.

The only reason I could imagine a fan wouldn't want to see more is if they wanted to keep their show a secret and keep it elitist, or if they thought that the new episodes wouldn't be comparable to the aura around the originals.......

but back to reality (for those who are still reading this)... we might be lucky to get a total of 90 minutes of new bob and david in our lifetimes... so this is all pretty moot.

Ellis D Trails
06-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Hey Agent Punt,

We got a reprise of Mr show...in that sad waste of film called
"Run Ronnie Run".

As for Pressure? Well, get the Ben Stiller DVD collection, listen to the Guest Commentary. BOB admits that he was under sooooo much pressure that he was not having much fun at all during the taping of Mr Show. As a matter of fact he claims to have had more fun on the set of Ben Stiller than Mr Show.

Its there for all to see and hear, see for your self

I'd love to See more bob and Dave, sure, but not some sappy POS thrown together show.

Bob and Dave revisited MANY of the Mr Show themes in Run Ronnie Run and it just was not funny the second time.

Oh, do take a chill pill too. I am not some elietist trying to hide the flame of Mr Show....DUH! Its at every freggin Best Buy on the plant...you big goof!

Ellis D Trails

agent_PUNT
06-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Zero off, I'm not really angry at you or anything really, it's just fun to take wild stands on shit I half-heartidly believe in.

First off, we all know what happened to Run Ronnie Run... if not read the disclaimer on their website to start.

Second off, the pressure on Mr. Show was more from the fact that they were doing it basically on their own, not to mention that Bob is a working nut....and that if they had support they wouldn't feel the "we're in it alone" pressure they had.

Thirdly, do you know how much stuff they shelf at those big ass stores? I think that's how they got their reputations for having alot of stuff (because they have alot of stuff).

So go hire a bunch of immigrant workers, put them in a field and get them to harvesst you some tobacco....then put that in your pipe and smoke it. (this could have been funny, but I'm in a rush, sorry it's not funny)

Ellis D Trails
06-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah Yeah, I read their disclaimer. I absolutely LOVE Mr. Show and Bob and Dave. But their disclaimer reminds me of an old Memphis Band that was signed to RCA Records. The band was “Human Radio” and they had a huge following here in Memphis. They go and cut their record and it starts getting radio play. Well the single that the Label wanted was a tune call “Me and Elvis”. It came across as a weird al kinda tune. It got some radio play but quickly fizzled. THEY blamed the record company for their demise. They made quite a stink about it, from what I remember.
My comment was always……”If ‘Me and Elvis’ was a problem, then WHY in the hell would you even present the song to the label in the first place”. The band blamed the label, but it was the band who wrote that sorry P.O.S

Fast-forward to Run Ronnie Run……To me the Ronnie character was amusing, but not that funny. WHY on earth would they agree to even make a film about it?
The answer to that is simple….$$$. If it were truly a bad idea, then we'd see other actors in those roles.
The movie comes out and they simply “Disown” it? Come one! They showed up for principal photography, they assisted in writing it, they acted; they were a part of this movie.
Just remember "If You're Going to Write a Comedy Scene, You're Going to Have Some Rat Feces in There."
Well, Run Ronnie Run was the Feces they were talking about. They should just own up to it and move on.
If it truly were not their baby, then bob and dave’s name would not be all over it. The fact is that RRR is nothing but badly recycled Mr. Show skits. Which just proves that CLONING is a bad idea!
Nothing is as funny as the original, oh and there is nothing funny about Friends.

Ellis D Trails
Next time take the Canni-bus!

tjamick
06-16-2004, 06:07 PM
i wanna bicker! you guys both suck, what i want is for them to re-make mr. show skit for skit, word for word (well, we dont need as much swearing this time) and act it out with a more family friendly and recognizable cast.

agent_PUNT
06-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Bob wrote an article talking about how RRR was killed in the editing room. They always got to edit their own comedy on Mr. Show but they got removed from the editing process for RRR. They truly believed in that movie until the editing process killed their jokes.

Search this site, the article is posted somewhere.. it is very telling.

But enough. Tjamick is a prude.

(that's right a prude)

Ellis D Trails
06-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Now Now, if they remade that skit where the Ad Agency was using tons of swear words to sell the product with no curse words...it wouldnt be very funny, now would it?

Ellis D Trails

Originally posted by tjamick
i wanna bicker! you guys both suck, what i want is for them to re-make mr. show skit for skit, word for word (well, we dont need as much swearing this time) and act it out with a more family friendly and recognizable cast.

tjamick
06-17-2004, 03:12 PM
it would be even better becouse then everybody could enjoy it, and thats what entertainment is about, appealing to every one.

(stupidname)Ed
06-18-2004, 01:29 AM
why did I laugh at Run Ronnie Run?? I feel a little stupid because I am the only one in the room laughing...is there something wrong with me?? I just like comedy...for some reason I think that bob and davids r&b love grind of a music video on it was funny as well?? Am I this fucked in the head or have I just had one too many ding dong sing song king kong burgers? I would laugh at Mr. Show season 5 even if they tried to not make it funny. Maybe I should stop eating jellybeans?

agent_PUNT
06-18-2004, 10:16 AM
I laughed at RRR when that little kid came out and DAvid dubbed his voice... the kid who needed the special shoes... that was fucking awesome.

quartersmostly
06-21-2004, 07:36 PM
At parts RRR is funny. It's not a great movie, it's not even a good movie. I wouldn't recomendit to anyone who isn't a big Mr. Show fan, however there are moments that are really funny.

On another note what's with so many people on this board who have never seen anything from season 4. What has taken you so long.

3v3+Z
06-21-2004, 11:18 PM
DVD

CptPlanet
06-22-2004, 02:50 AM
internet

quartersmostly
06-22-2004, 01:38 PM
I don't know if this was available everywhere but in Seattle and in Boulder you could rent the episodes on video. Each episode was on one tape, and the best part was it was free.

tjamick
06-22-2004, 09:07 PM
all of the episodes are on kazaa

Ellis D Trails
07-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Kazza sucks, no one shares on there anymore.

Kazza used to be awesome, but now you cant download crap.
I see the Mr Show series on there, but no one will share.

Ellis D Trails

Brain Stew
11-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Tell me about it man, it's like I can't download shit on Kazaa anymore.

CptPlanet
11-20-2005, 03:52 PM
is it back on the air yet?

Brain Stew
11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
What's a Mr. Show?

5InchTaint
11-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Edited.