PDA

View Full Version : Marred Core

3v3+Z
08-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Billy boy said something in his last monologue about the Earth's core. First off he asked if the audience was familiar with the Earth's core because, he said, he WASN'T. Now I was never a good student, but... you know what, actually I wasn't that bad a student when I learned about the layers of the Earth. Of course, that was in about THIRD GRADE. But I digress. He said something about some fascinating NEW discovery that the Earth's core actually rotates FASTER than the Earth's surface!! Am I completely misunderstanding something, or is this as huge a "DUH" as it seems? ROTATING OBJECTS SPIN FASTER THE CLOSER TO THE CENTER YOU GET!!!!!!! This is not fucking NEWS!! Ever see a hubcap pop off of a moving car? The hubcap rolls out IN FRONT of the vehicle even if they're driving at a consistent speed. Why? BECAUSE IT'S CLOSER TO THE CENTER, SO IT'S SPINNING FUCKING FASTER!!

I didn't bother to look up the actual study that he was talking about because I'm insecure and wanted to feel smart for at least a little while. Perhaps even more importantly, I needed to feel superior to Maher. He seems like a very intelligent and well informed individual. He must be taken down a peg or two so that I can feel a little better about myself. I'm not well, you know.

Citrus Mountain
08-29-2005, 02:31 AM
But does not the Lp rotate 33 1/3 times at edge and center grasshopper?

3v3+Z
08-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Same number of rotations per minute (RPMs), but it has less distance to travel. Therefore, it's moving faster. Get it?

Citrus Mountain
08-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by 3v3+Z
Same number of rotations per minute (RPMs), but it has less distance to travel. Therefore, it's moving faster. Get it?

I'll take your word for it

AndersLevant
08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
I've got to take issue with your reasoning, Steve. If you take something that is rotating at 5 rpms, and has a radius of .5pi inches, a point on it's outside rim will travel a distance of 5 inches per minute. A point at .25pi will only travel 2.5 inches in that same time. So both points have the same angular speed, but the further the point from the center, the faster the linear speed.

However, the hub cap speeds off ahead because it has less linear distance to travel in the same time, but it still rotates at the same speed.

agent_PUNT
08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
you know when people are running around a track? in the olympics? they make them switch lanes?

it's because on the outside track if you run the same speed as the inside track you still have to cover a longer distance.

So to stay parallel the runner on the outside would have to run at a higher speed.

I have no idea what I am talking about. I wonder if this will be helpful to the debate or just make things worse.

3v3+Z
08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by AndersLevant
I've got to take issue with your reasoning, Steve. If you take something that is rotating at 5 rpms, and has a radius of .5pi inches, a point on it's outside rim will travel a distance of 5 inches per minute. A point at .25pi will only travel 2.5 inches in that same time. So both points have the same angular speed, but the further the point from the center, the faster the linear speed.

However, the hub cap speeds off ahead because it has less linear distance to travel in the same time, but it still rotates at the same speed. So what you're saying is that every point on any rotating object is simultaneously moving faster, slower, AND the same speed as any OTHER point. It all depends on your perspective. Don't correct me, that is obviously what you're saying. I still say I'm right.

Here (http://www.news.uiuc.edu/news/05/0825earthcore.html)'s the original story. It proves me right. Had they bothered to ask me in the first place I could have saved them a lot of trouble.

Anyone else have any big "mysteries" they need solved?

3v3+Z
08-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by agent_PUNT
you know when people are running around a track? in the olympics? they make them switch lanes?

it's because on the outside track if you run the same speed as the inside track you still have to cover a longer distance.

So to stay parallel the runner on the outside would have to run at a higher speed.EXACTLY! Thank you. High five.

Also, when you're watching the speed walking races, time passes faster than when you're watching runners traveling the same distance. This is because running is nowhere near as funny*. If my dream of turning skipping into an olympic event is ever realized, that will surely go by even faster.

*Special Olympics excluded

AndersLevant
08-29-2005, 06:23 PM
So what you're saying is that every point on any rotating object is simultaneously moving faster, slower, AND the same speed as any OTHER point.

I'm saying that every point on a rotating object has the same angular speed.

In terms of linear speed, the further from the center, the faster it is. It is as simple as that.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. That is a quote from the page you directed me to. The extraordinary nature of the claim is that the center of the earth is doing something that is sort of counterintuitive. So it proves me right.

Watch your ceiling fan (if you have one.) It will show you that the outside moves faster, but rotates at the same speed.

bill nye
08-29-2005, 06:26 PM
guys, just consult the bible on this one and shut up.

Stevie Hawking
08-29-2005, 06:30 PM
You - are - a - foolish - effeminate - hack - Nye - !

3v3+Z
08-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by AndersLevant
Watch your ceiling fan (if you have one.) It will show you that the outside moves faster, but rotates at the same speed. BUT, if I turn on a strobe light, I can adjust the speed of it so that the fan actually appears to be rotating in the opposite direction! HA! Gotcha THERE, don't I!?

Look, everybody KNOWS you're wrong. Give up.

Citrus Mountain
08-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Anyone else have any big "mysteries" they need solved?

If god loves me then why did they put mayonnaise on my sandwich?

Oh, and Anders is 100% accurate and therfore correct.

3v3+Z
08-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Andy is WRONG!!

And that's not mayonnaise.

Citrus Mountain
08-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Andy is WRONG!!

And that's not mayonnaise.
Thought I tasted bruce

fritter
08-29-2005, 07:00 PM
the rates of rotation of concentric circles on an axis are identical by definition. the inside is moving slower, but, having less distance to travel, goes at the same RATE, yet is not moving at the same SPEED.

3v3+Z
08-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Exactly. Thank you.

fritter
08-29-2005, 07:04 PM
sorry, i had to edit a word. now you're wrong.