PDA

View Full Version : Run Ronnie Run - Genius or Failure?

Mr.Admin
07-15-2003, 04:10 AM
I loved the Ronnie Dobbs stuff on Mr. Show, but the movie just didn't do it for me. Any thoughts from others?

I thought the cameos were forces and the timing somehow didn't work and just, overall, it didn't make me laugh as much as I had hoped. I've heard from a few people who loved it, but more who didn't.

Your take? I've already ordered the DVD, even though I probably won't watch it more than once. :)

nevillerogers
10-20-2003, 03:38 PM
it seems painfully obvious to me, that the entire movie
was passed through a series of filters made primarily of
whatever asskissing is made of...
what i mean to say is, it has very heavy outside influence,
that is to say it is pretty much not a mr. show production.
it is new lines disgusting bastard baby ... spawned from
the depths of new lines editing bowels...
it had its moments however
"like a peanut girl"
"a lonely little peanut"

Pit Pat
10-22-2003, 09:01 PM
I'm considering getting this DVD, but I've heard mixed reviews. Seems like discerning fans really didn't like it, but casual fans (who weren't hardcore into the show) did. Does that sound about right? Any other opinions?

new wave
10-23-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by nevillerogers
it seems painfully obvious to me, that the entire movie
was passed through a series of filters made primarily of
whatever asskissing is made of...
what i mean to say is, it has very heavy outside influence,
that is to say it is pretty much not a mr. show production.
it is new lines disgusting bastard baby ... spawned from
the depths of new lines editing bowels...
it had its moments however
"like a peanut girl"
"a lonely little peanut"

I'd have to agree.

Gagortion
10-23-2003, 08:29 AM
I didnt think it was all that bad. After reading what Bob and David wrote about the final edited movie, I was a little worried that it would totally suck but it didnt. It was much better than most SNL character spinoff movies.

Unregistered
10-23-2003, 08:48 AM
It's not that it was bad. It's just that Mr. Show is sooooo brilliant and Bob and David such geniuses, that in comparison to their previous endeavors, Run Ronnie Run sucked. There were a couple of moments of transcendence (i.e. Mary Lynn's cameo, Tom Kenney's newcasts) but overall it was really conventional. I know Bob and David aren't happy with it and they have placed a lot of the blame on New Line and Troy Miller, which I'm sure they deserve. But I'm thinking that making a movie about Ronnie Dobbs in the first place may not have been a great idea. I mean he was amusing on Mr. Show because he was such a total fucking asshole. But in the movie you're supposed to root for him and that was just a big mistake. I'm surprised especially that David Cross, who is Mr. Unsentimental would have been OK with playing it so safe and cuddly.

In interviews prior to making the movie, Bob and David had both said they wanted to do something that appealed not just to their fans. Again, this was a mistake. What made Mr. Show so special was that Bob and David were just trying to amuse Bob and David and do some really great fucking comedy and make points they felt neded to be made. They weren't trying to reach a mass audience. Bob especially seemed to take it a bit hard that the show wasn't on a lot of people's radar, but hey-- that's because most people are fucking dumb. As time has passed Mr. Show has grown in influence and will continue to do so the way that all great things do. Not many people got Python at the time it first came out either.

Anyway, I really hope that Bob and David do Hooray For America and that they do it their own way-- unconventionally and without compromising.

Anna
10-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Oops I fogot to log in. The above post was mine.

famous mortimer
10-23-2003, 09:42 PM
I'm a huge fan of Mr. Show and I thought Run Ronnie Run was great. It was painfully obvious that it had been cut down, but overall I thought it was still a very likeable movie.

Personally, I think Bob and David are overly criticial of their own work. Looking at their comments in the edpisode guide section of Mr Show: What Happened?, all the epidosed and sketches that they hated are ones I thought were great. And the ones they thought were great, I didn't think were so good.

Joanna
11-01-2003, 03:45 AM
Run Ronnie Run is awesome! not only was the movie trippy, but Ronnie Dobbs is the shit!

keepthechaaange
11-12-2003, 02:42 PM
the first time i watched the movie i didnt like it and was really disappointed but then i watched it again but skipped the first scene and it was pretty good. i think the casting in that movie was extremely poor, thats why it wasnt that good. if they would have given bigger roles to the real cast of "mr. show" instead of bringing in different actors, i think the movie would have been a lot more likeable.

also, the deleted/altered scenes were a lot better than the scenes that actually made the movie. bob and david are right, troy miller really did fuck this movie up. it could have been pretty good if it wasnt edited so poorly.

ProfessorMurder
11-12-2003, 03:33 PM
The movie had it's moments, but is just nowhere near as funny as it could have been. And while editing might have had something to do with why the movie wasn't that good, the editors don't "make the funny," so to speak. They take out what is shit or what they feel is shit, remove and trim scenes that aren't necessary or don't forward the plot in some roundabout way, etc.. When all is said and done, Bob and David wrote a script based on a 5 minute sketch, and when you attempt something like that, it rarely works (example, just about every SNL sketch-to-movie release. You may expect more from them because they are Bob and David, but like my old man says: "You can't polish a turd."

But, on the bright side, I went to a "Mr. Show: What Happened?"/Season 3 DVD signing at a book store in Hollywood about two months ago. They did a brief Q and A and when asked about the possibility of another movie, they said they were actually in the process of writing something that would include Mr. Show alumni ONLY. They said one of the biggest mistakes they made with RNR was that they casted "celebrities" to catch the more mainstream audience. With the current movie idea they have it would include primarily Mr. Show performers.

And to that I say AMEN!

Johnny Panic
11-13-2003, 06:57 AM
It's pretty damn funny, but compared to the show it'll be a little disappointing.

I think it's important to make stuff that appeals to you, rather than to a wider audience. When compromise occurs, the end result is that no-one really likes it. The comparison to Monty Python is appropriate- it was shunted round the schedules in Britain when it first started and was subject to some incredulous reviews. When I first got into it, my Mum (who watched it in the late 60s) said she still had no idea what a lot of it was about.

The great novels, films and music are those that the makers design to appeal to themselves first and foremost.

ritzik
12-22-2006, 01:43 AM
where the fuck have all these bandwagon jumpers gone, did all their fuckin' computers die at the same friggin' time, MAKES ME MAD GRRRRRRRR

israelfan
12-22-2006, 04:48 AM
i think the main problem with the film is that it is a film.

what they did is take something that was great for a sketch format but not a film format. the mr show sketches are so complex and changing all the time, while run ronnie run function like any other hollywood comdey (maybe with smarter jokes0.
but basically the film operates in the banal form of the script (the stupid script structure that sid fields talks about). run ronnie run is a film that has smart content but a very main stream form. mr show had both smart and innovative content and form.

DC41288
03-02-2007, 08:51 PM
The only part i liked was the part with Jack Black. I was never a big Ronnie Dobbs fan besides Fuzz the Musical

ritzik
03-12-2007, 04:26 AM
Hi DC..

mind if I measure your inseams?

for the official BUTM Gym Shorts that we like to make for our new members, of course

ritzik
03-12-2007, 04:27 AM
Hi again DC,

I also have some yummy candy hidden in my pocket

and if u find it I'll give a big ol' kiss for being such a winner!

ritzik
03-15-2007, 01:37 AM
I sure miss your innocent posts DC,

please come back,

I have some cool XBox games in my basement

aussiefan
03-15-2007, 01:43 AM
He sent me a myspace message and i forgot to message him back. He also sent me a prvate message on here saying that he was joking about liking Dane Cook. I want him back...

ritzik
03-15-2007, 01:49 AM
he's a good kid

and I bet his ass tastes like a peach