PDA

View Full Version : "Driven to Drink"

GitOffMyLand
01-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Did anybody read the Paul Tompkin's article on bobanddavid.com, about Charles Bukowski? It cracked me the hell up... goddammit I hate Bukowski...

OddFellows001
01-27-2004, 04:35 PM
This will make my third post and, coincidentally, my third post about Paul F. Tompkins. It is natural for you all to suppose that I, OddFellows001, am in fact Paul Tompkins. I now wish to let you all down. No, I am not, do not know, nor have I ever met Paul F. Tompkins. My friend, who shall remain pathetic, saw him once in an airport while he was typing something or reading some e-mail and dropped the name of our college (KENYON) and did, in fact, drop my name. So if Paul F. Tompkins does not have a life and does read these posts, then he should know that I am not Love-Knife material but do respect his works. That being said:

OF COURSE I FREAKIN' READ THE ARTICLE!!!

Seriously, the Bukowski article proved once again that PFT is an incredible writer who should, in my opinion, turn to fiction. Not since Peter Lombreglia has there been a character as great as the goon. The goon is so recurrable that it isn't even worth mentioning in two sentences.
I will say that the knock on poetry hurt me a bit, but I understand where he's coming from. Most poetry, like jazz or foriegn films, stands as crap, should be viewed as crap, and, just because the "intellectuals" like them doesn't mean they aren't fodder for attack.
As a writer of poetry I have an even worse opinion of poetry because I am constantly bobbarded by BAD poetry. "Here," they say, grinning like idiots, "wrote this one about my cat. See, her eyes are a metaphor for the moon. Wanna get stoned?" And clove cigarettes? I quasi-date a girl who smokes clove cigarettes and it is by far one of the saddest things ever.
If your life consists of the following: listening to Radiohead and Sigur Rose, smoking clove cigarettes from a metal holder, driving or dreaming about old cars (cars that used to explode on impact just because "they have character"), smoke from or own a hukka, think the comic "Ghost World" was written about you, have hosted or attended a wine and cheese post-prom party, or cry every time the name Juliet Binoche is mentioned; then YOU ARE NOT ORIGINAL. Just because you own an 8-track or drive a jalopy doesn't mean you know hardship or "the sruggle of the common man." If daddy bought you your vinyl collection, you don't know anything except how to mooch off someone who taught you mooching was okay because, "You're daddy's special little gift from Jay-sus Kee-rist."
As for Bukowski, he's just another collector's piece for these sad bastards and their engineered personalities. Look at Madonna, it's the same thing. Tompkins nails it, gives it a voice, cuts the vocal cords out of that voice, and sends us all packing with a souvineer at the gates. That's what an article has to do to get its point across, hold no punches.

Good job once again...

Ubu Dance Party
01-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Enlightening, Oddfellows.

I suppose that you can go on ahead and slide yourself off of your soapbox now.

GitOffMyLand
01-28-2004, 01:18 PM
That was certainly a highly articulate outburst, my friend.

One question: what did Sigur Ros ever do to you? They're harmless! They're from *Iceland* for chrissakes!

Glad that you didn't harp too much on the poetry slam... I think his general intention was to suggest that mediocrity in such a delicate medium is really just unforgiveable; i.e. if you're a cripple, don't try to run the fucking decathalon...

OddFellows001
01-29-2004, 07:41 PM
You're absolutely right, Sigur Ros is harmless. I often enjoy their music while I sip from my "kitties are cuddly" mug and read Archie comics. I'll just say that I do like S.R., but I don't like people who think Sigur Ros changed their life or have to play it every ten minutes because the songs "flow through me like a warm baloon of water."

urban gamelan
01-29-2004, 08:33 PM
"like jazz or foriegn films, stands as crap.."

Is this right? Godard, Fellini, Kurosawa, Antonioni, etc. are crap? Would you mind elaborating on your position?

OddFellows001
01-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Good to see my opinions so popular. Well first of all, if you disliked what I said I have to imagine that you either didn't get my point or you did get my point and when I described the overly pretentious art fiend you took offense because you are, in fact, pretentious. Congrats on naming some of the greatest filmmakers of all time. In doing so, you prove my point.

You chose incredible filmmakers whose works stand as some of the greatest works of film ever made. However, you also named about 1% of all the world's filmmakers. Most poetry, like most jazz and foreign films, is crap. Why? Because great poetry, great jazz, and great filmmaking is hard as hell. Fellini had a vision, Fritz Lang, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Francois Truffaut, Werner Herzog, and Krzysztof Kieslowski all had visions. Does this mean anyone who picks up a camera and has the backdrop of Sicily has a vision. Well, if you've seen some of the train wrecks that I've seen, you would know that no, most of them do not. I don't know why, but just because some things like jazz and poetry are cool, anyone who doesn't feel like they fit in think they can do it. There's a reason people read Keats and Wordsworth to this day: because it's incredible. But just because two out of every two-thousand can write a power image that withstands the test of time means that, in some cases, those who did not last sucked hard. Will Federico Fellini span time? Undoubtedly. Will every foriegn director?

Truth is, foriegn films made by people such as Fellini, Kieslowski, and Wim Wenders change the outlook of our crummy days because they shine with brilliance, imagination, and an overall importance that doing the laundary, walking in the snow, and taking a dump does not. Don't confuse appreciating good art with appreciating ALL art. If all you have to do is watch a film, stare at a painting, or hear a rhyme and think that it is as brilliant as Jerzy Skolimowski, Van Gogh, or Weldon Kees. Consider yourself elaborated upon.

By the way, if you have any more names of great filmakers you want to throw in my face, you can reach me at GeoffMunst@aol.com. Great taste.

urban gamelan
01-30-2004, 02:20 PM
I should have said this in my previous post, but I didn't mean it as any sort of personal attack, I was just genuinely interested in you expanding upon your statement. Thanks for the response.

GitOffMyLand
01-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Oddfellows, if I knew where you lived I'd send you a "Hello Kitty" t-shirt. :D