PDA

View Full Version : ben Stiller and cast?

Tenaciousd1212
02-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Hey, have there been loose ends wih Ben Stiller and the cast of his show and the cast of Mr. Show? After The Cable Guy, I have yet to see Bob or David in anything related, with the exception of season 2 of Mr. Show and Run Ronnie Run Cameo. Andy Dick has definately fallen out with the guys of Mr. show, with his exclusion from RRR and the cut scene from "Operation Hell on Earth" episode of Mr. Show. Garafalo has also had no ties with Mr. Show.
I also ask to myself why no one from Mr. Show has appeared in Stillers most famous movies, even in cameos: My examples:
Meet The Parents
Along Came Polly
Zoolander
The Royal Tenenbaums.

We can at least hope that someone from mr. Show will have a role in the upcoming "Meet the Fockers", unless Stiller is an ungrateful bastard.

orin graham
02-06-2004, 08:47 PM
i just recently acquired the ben stiller show dvd's and watched them all front to back for the first time. i can't say that i think much for the program en-toto, but there were a couple shimmering facets. in episode two i literally fell over in laughter while watching tom cruise:dress casual. the skit goes from "tom" saying lines, to riotous applause, portraying his former characters, into a broadway dance theme where he rips his pullaway flight suit off and slides offstage in a one-piece spandex suit (with leg warmers) only to appear behind the bar for a cocktail dance riff. then the real genius is unveiled as "tom" throws his prop handles of liquor to stage left and leaps gracefully, with a shit-eating grin on his face, to seamlessly catch a thrown pool cue. he then, subsequently, lands on a pool table where he waves around his stick and begins an even better dance number. then the clincher: "tom" sprints and jumps off the pool table to slide, yet again, (this time backwards and with a white sequined shirt and underwear) into a risky business finale, where the first eight notes of "old time rock'n roll" are played and "tom" gives the crazed, phantom crowd a knowing smile and throws up his palms as if to say "yeah, i know...applaud over my bufoonishness, sycophants!" this skit is, in my eyes, a beautiful work of comedic genius. the second skit that i thought was uproriously funny was "low-budget tales of cliched horror" where ben plays late night radio host damien faustman, "the man who hates everybody almost as much as he hates himself." this is an amazing circular scene in which we see faustman chain smoking and insulting his call-in's; telling them that they're pathetic for listening, and that he hate's them all. the story moves on to faustman hearing the taunting voice of the devil mocking him and trying to make faustman say who he is. eventually faustman breaks down and cries out "i'm not going with you to he-el!" faustman then turns into a cloven-hoofed servant demon, and is ambivalent about his own personal hell. i thought that this skit was very unusual insofar as skits go, but i think that i liked it for that reason. stiller nailed the essence of faustman.

if anybody else would like to share thoughts on a particular skit, i'd be interested to discuss some of the goings-on, as-it-were.

keepthechaaange
02-09-2004, 06:33 PM
my favorite "ben stiller show" sketches have got to be either the first "skank" sketch or the lassie spoof w/ charles manson. of course, "the legend of t.j. o'pootertoot" is definitely up there, mostly because it's practically a mr. show sketch since bob, david, and dino are all in it and david wrote it.

SHUT YOUR STINKIN' TRAP!

pollypry
02-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Uh, yeah, but Ben really had no control in the creation of any of those movies, excluding Zoolander. You kinda have to be a dick to simply be cast in a movie and walk up to the director or producers and say "hey, how about we let some of my friends in here? you can pay them, try to work them into an already completed cast and script, it'll be great!"

And if I were them I too would probably try to distance myself as much as possible from Andy Dick...

keepthechaaange
02-12-2004, 02:18 PM
janeane garafelo(wow, i totally fucked the spelling on that one) was in "reality bites" and "mystery men", both being stiller films. and she was in a couple of mr. show sketches (the pit pat sketch and the sketch where the 2 college guys are doing the mtv show parody in the anne frank house though janeane just walked through that one as a part of the tour group).

i think the actors/actresses associated with either show would rather find their own work than have it just given to them. it kind of validates your reasons for being an actor if you can find your own work and not just have your friends give you work (although if it were me, i'd be begging ben stiller to give me a big role in a movie of his).

OddFellows001
02-12-2004, 04:46 PM
I think one thing that you're overlooking is that, more or less, they're all friends. Andy Dick had a LOT of drug problems, but he was more than just a cast member. Many of these people came into the comedy business together in Chicago, Boston, and L.A., so of course they're going to help eachother out. Stiller knows how talented Odenkirk, Garofalo, and Dick are, so why not use them as much as possible? The same goes for Bob, who used all three of his former cast members in Mr. Show (Garofalo in "Bag Hutch," Stiller as the "I'm no economist" economist, and Andy Dick in the edited-out Eleanor Roosevelt "my father touched my butthole" interstitial).

I think it's also important to see where the people are in their careers and lives. Ben's star has risen slowly but surely, Janeane has made a move towards political criticism on shows like Hannity and Colmes? and O'Reilly, Bob has really concentrated on directing and writing and, well, Andy Dick is clawing his way back into the spotlight without falling into a relapse. They're different people than they were in '92. In spite of how different they may be, Ben Stiller can still go on shows like Conan and joke about Andy Dick and Janeane and Bob can still perform together. I'm sure there are plenty of talents who don't get any help from anybody. You work your ass off and you help yourself, but occasionally there comes a time when a group of people can come together and help eachother. Maybe that's what Stiller was.

orin graham
02-12-2004, 11:33 PM
my favorite author is John Kennedy Toole.

dane atkinson
02-16-2004, 09:49 AM
my favs on the stiller dvd are the die hard parody (i think taylor negron does an awesome job in that one)......the manson sketches are awesome, mainly because of bob.....cape fear with eddie munster.....and on the deleted scenes, or was it the extra episode, with the mascot olympics....when ben plays that weird looking celebrity.......also, a question, do you guys watch with the commentary on???? i would think you do, but the commentary is always helpful to understand some things about the show or just find out where ideas came from.....

VanHammersly42
02-16-2004, 11:50 AM
when i got the dvd, the funniest part was probably on the outtakes on the special features section. It's from one of the Manson sketches where bob is by himself and the director is telling him to speak gibberish over and over again until they get something that they like. The shit that came out of bob's mouth was the most insane, absurd string of ideas i've ever heard come out of him. It just made me appreciate him as an actor more.

dane atkinson
02-17-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by VanHammersly42
when i got the dvd, the funniest part was probably on the outtakes on the special features section. It's from one of the Manson sketches where bob is by himself and the director is telling him to speak gibberish over and over again until they get something that they like. The shit that came out of bob's mouth was the most insane, absurd string of ideas i've ever heard come out of him. It just made me appreciate him as an actor more.

true that........it shows how much of a great improv actor he is......oh, and i also like when stiller does that guy that says..do it, do it, do it, cmon, do it, cmon......that is so fuckin funny

VanHammersly42
02-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Tony Bobbins...that's all I'm gonna say.

"Then I'm going to hypnotize you with my teeth!"

brooks
02-20-2004, 02:32 PM
First post ever on BUTM, not that anyone cares.

The bit, 'Tom Cruise: Dress Casual' may be the highlight of the entire show for me. I really can't get enough of it, even though I usually don't like celebrity send-ups (a la SNL). In that bit 'Advantage Agassi' (which is fairly funny overall) the absolute best part is when Odenkirk's super-villain says, "Blow him... away!" and makes this wonderful hand gesture for emphasis. Odenkirk really is the best part about that sketch.

JuanBallsac
02-20-2004, 11:26 PM
what about the dandruff skit.

fuckin hilarity.

CherryVineGurl
02-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Who's the best east or west
T.J O'POOTERTOOT!

IT'S PEOPLE! POOTERBALLS ARE MADE OUT OF PEOPLE!

YOU ARE FILLED WITH SO MUCH HATE AND I THINK THAT'S REALLY GREAT!

I'm a huge Ben Stiller Show, Mr.Show, & Tenacious D show dork.

Have you seen David Cross in Waiting For Guffman? He has a small part, but it's great. David & Bob were also in Ghost World when David hit on one of the girls. I hope other people know this b/c I feel like a huge idiot to know all this.

~FIGNUTS~ :cool:

action park
02-28-2004, 05:16 AM
Bob was in Ghost World?

It'sSoGreat
02-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Mr. Show and Tenacious D rock ... but Ben Stiller is an unfunny sellout fuck.

whateverman
03-05-2004, 02:40 AM
No, only David was in Ghost World. But BOTH Bob and David were in Waiting for Guffman: David played the UFO expert, and Bob has a non speaking cameo as a weird caped guy at the auditions.
They're also extras in "Truth About Cats and Dogs" ,and David does the voice of some of the callers to the show.

See? I'm an even BIGGER nerd than you are!

keepthechaaange
03-05-2004, 08:02 AM
on the ben stiller show, was david only in the t.j. o'pootertoot sketch? i got the impression from reading different articles taht give a short bio on him that he was in at least one other sketch.

whateverman
03-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Yeah, his only appearance is in Pootertoot, but he did write some other sketches. (The Few Good Scouts, and Conspiracy Theory)

waffle
03-05-2004, 04:15 PM
I started a thread asking if that was bob in Waiting for Guffman. All I got was an "Im pretty sure." from someone. But as for another cameo, I just watched Pootie Tang last night (I still dont know what to think of it, although a did laugh many a time) but David had a short role playing a fake Pootie. Ahhhh, I can feel my dorkitude grow ever vaster as my store of useless comedy knowledge increases.

CherryVineGurl
03-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by keepthechaaange
on the ben stiller show, was david only in the t.j. o'pootertoot sketch? i got the impression from reading different articles taht give a short bio on him that he was in at least one other sketch.

David also appeared in the sketch "The Father Son Switching Song", it was a no speaking roll.

CherryVineGurl
03-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by whateverman
No, only David was in Ghost World. But BOTH Bob and David were in Waiting for Guffman: David played the UFO expert, and Bob has a non speaking cameo as a weird caped guy at the auditions.
They're also extras in "Truth About Cats and Dogs" ,and David does the voice of some of the callers to the show.

See? I'm an even BIGGER nerd than you are!

They were in The Cable Guy too, right?

whateverman
03-07-2004, 02:18 AM
Yup, they both were in The Cable Guy. David's role is non-speaking. That's the only Ben Stiller movie they've been in, right?

And Bob was definitely in Waiting for Guffman. He's the caped guy at the auditions. Hilarious cameo, if you ask me.

whateverman
03-07-2004, 02:31 AM
"Father Song Switching song?" What sketch was that? On the Ben Stiller Show? are you sure? Which episode?

And if you wanna know more David Bob cameos, the Pootie Tang one is good, Dave's really funny. Of course, he's also in both Men in Black movies (Also, Jay Johnston plays a cop in MIIB)

Bob plays a cop in "Clean Slate" that awful Dana Carvey movie. He plays a nerdy concert goer in "Wayne's World 2" (along with Robert Smiguel) Really funny. He also plays a doctor in "Monkeybone", in what I think are the funniest scenes in that movie.

And Bob and David both do some of the animal voices in "Dr Doolittle 2". And I think I already mentioned that they have cameos in "The Truth About Cats and Dogs" (you can see 'em in a bookstore), though David does some of the voices in the call-in show.

I'm a total nerd.

CherryVineGurl
03-07-2004, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by whateverman
[B]"Father Song Switching song?" What sketch was that? On the Ben Stiller Show? are you sure? Which episode?

I'm absolutley sure that David was in two sketches on The Ben Stiller Show, T.J O'Pootertoot & Headslammers Ball on The Father Son Switching Song. Episode 11, sketch 3.

waffle
03-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I just got the Ben Stiller Show DVD the other day and Ive watched the first four episodes. I had to watch the Tom Cruise skit twice. Sooooo hilarious, damn I laughed so hard. The cruise impression was dead on too. The Springsteen impression was great as well, with the fake big nose. I noticed a few things in that show that were carried over to Mr. Show as well. One of stiller's characters looks like he has a normal, short haircut then about halfway through he turns to the side and reveals the little ponytail in the back. David did this in the way to go einstein/ranking monkey skit. DOnt know if it was intentional but it was pretty similar. The other one was more directly transfered to Mr. Show but I cant remember what it was. I think it involved Bob.

voodude
03-07-2004, 07:16 PM
woody allen's the bride of frankenstein was genius and bizarre.
o pootertoot was a glimpse of the future to come with mr show
and the manson lassie spoof was perfect in every way. after watching the whole dvd set all the way through it sure seems that the show got better every episode they did and it's a shame it was cancelled at the point it was. if it had lasted another season it might have become a lot more well known

Dart Shitter
03-08-2004, 05:41 PM
I think the reason that Bob and David weren't in

Meet The Parents
Along Came Polly
Zoolander
The Royal Tenenbaums.

is because all those movies probably looked real shitty on paper and definitely were shitty on the big screen

whateverman
03-08-2004, 07:47 PM
You're right!! I'd totally forgotten about that Metallica sketch! David was in that. Hmmm.. can't believe a total nerd like me would forget a thing like that.

And as for Bob and David not being in those Stiller movies cause they weren't the best quality... not too sure about that. David DID do Scary Movie 2. HE was funny, but come on, that movie suuuucked! I'm pretty sure if Ben had asked them to cameo in, say Zoolander, they would have.

Still, just cause they've worked together in the past doesn't mean Ben has to put all his friends in EVERY stinking movie he does!

whateverman
03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Also, for the record, Royal TEnembaums was NOT a shitty movie. Not for everyone, but I thought it was quite good. Plus, Stiller only acted in that one, he didn't have say in the creative process.

waffle
03-08-2004, 08:15 PM
I really love the Royal Tenenbaums, but I knwo many people really dont like it so I wont say more. But Zoolander is a strange movie for me. When I saw it the first time I thought jeez this movie is stupid, but I found myself thinking about parts of it later as if it was a movie I had liked. ("I'm not an ambi-turner.") After watching it again I decided that I loved it. The part where his roomates start having the gasoline fight at the gas station gets me every time. I realized also when I got the ben stiller show dvd that Derek Zoolander was just like his Melrose Heights characters. Also, Andy Dick was in Zoolander, see if you can find his character.

whateverman
03-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Andy Dick was supposed to play the part that Will Ferrel got. But he is in the movie as a masseusse. I didn't hate that movie, (Zoolander) but I didn't love it either. And, again, I really liked The Royal Tenembaums. We're all entitled to our opinions.

duandsku
03-09-2004, 09:59 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

You're all driving me crazy.

You people are elitist about liking Mr. Show, but think that The Royal Tenenbaums, Zoolander, and The Ben Stiller Show are shitty and stupid?

You just have narrow views of comedy if you feel this way. I LOVE all four, and think they are all really smart in their own way, and that none of them are superior than the other.

I hate comedy. If people like one type of comedy, they think that any other comedy isn't as good. They think they understand all comedy because they like one kind. It's a frustrating genre.

whateverman
03-09-2004, 01:58 PM
I assume your post wasn't about me, since I defended Royal Tenembaums (though I enjoyed it as a great showcase of storytelling and acting, and wouldn't consider it a pure "comedy") I agree that comedy is a difficult genre, and though I AM somewhat elitist, laughter can spring from stupidity, or even unoriginal or re-hashed ideas.

Dart Shitter
03-10-2004, 02:07 PM
The Royal whatevers sucked because basically it bored the darts out of me. There was all this hype about it's creativeness and originality and the movie seemed like the writers just wrote some interesting characters and put them in a weak ass plot. Now as for Scary Movie 2 and The MIB movies, let's just fantazixe that David was really really high during these periods of history and never speak of them again. Everyone is entitilitetessed to their own views unless they think Zoolander was funny.

agent_PUNT
03-10-2004, 03:17 PM
If I was offered a part in Scary Movie 4, a speaking role, I'd take it in a second. Who cares if the movie is shitty, if you kick ass people will remeber you as the shining light in a sea of assholes.

I don't think David Cross is truly in a position where he can turn down roles because he doesn't like the story. If he didn't do shitty movies, he couldn't afford to make his own good ones. He doesn't have the power to be a prick and still get respect in like other actors/comedians.

i think I'll have to go rent Royal Tenanbaums and Zoolander this weekend and see what the big deal is/isn't. You motherfuckers are driving me crazy.

gerald hennessy
03-10-2004, 04:45 PM
I thought Meet the Parents was pretty funny.

Dart Shitter
03-10-2004, 05:58 PM
I think David can make up his own mind about what movies he'll do for money or for the sake of a good movie. I don't think he's parlayed his MIB and Scary Movie checks into anything except beer and....well I'm not sure what else unless he owns his own Salvation Army so he can shop all by himself like those pompous megalomaniac starts do these days. Did I mention I can't spell?

whateverman
03-10-2004, 11:42 PM
I agree. Anyone who claims they have too much "integrity" to take a part in a shitty movie is lying. We all need money.

And ps I hated Meet the Parents. But good for you if you enjoyed it.

whateverman
03-10-2004, 11:44 PM
I don't think he's parlayed his MIB and Scary Movie checks into anything except beer and....well I'm not sure what else unless he owns his own Salvation Army so he can shop all by himself like those pompous megalomaniac starts do these days.

Oh, come on! Surely he didn't spend it ALL on beer. Don't forget there's also pot, hookers, and...um...tequila?

Tenaciousd1212
03-18-2004, 05:03 PM
I actually liked david in Scary Movie 2, he and chris elliot saved that movie from being absolutely horrible.

And remember to catch david in a his role in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind".

P.S. GRADY'S OATS INSTANT OATMEAL! THEY WERE MY FLOWERS! AND YOU RUINED EM! - Greatest moments in TV history.

CherryVineGurl
03-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I love Zoolander, I cant get enough of it. Although alot of people think Ben Stiller is just a sellout, I still like his work.

I'm sick of when people ask me who my favorite comedian is and I say David Cross, their like who's that? I say "Have you seen Mr.Show? Waiting for Guffman? Men in Black 1 & 2? Arrested Development? Ghost World?" and then I realize I'm talking to idiots. I show them his pic and every one of them say "Hey, it's the chicken pot pie guy" or "it's the guy in the wheelchair in Scary Movie 2" sorry, didnt know if it was just me.

I heard that David is in Eternal Sunshine, I saw the previews and I'm already dying to see it. It looks really good. Does anyone like Punch Drunk Love? That's my favorite movie so far, but I have a feeling that Eternal Sunshine will take over.

sizzlingsteaks
03-19-2004, 03:39 AM
what is the "Chicken Pot Pie" guy?

I saw Punch Drunk Love recently...it was a very character-driven movie, but for me it lacked plot. I like Adam Sandler in it though, I thought the casting director did an excellent job.

agent_PUNT
03-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Punch Drunk Love was pretty entertaining. I finally saw Royal Tenanbaums on the weekend, and I laughed twice. I think it was a good movie, but I don't think it's a comedy. Ben Stiller does nothing for me. I don't give a shit about all this sell out talk, but as a pure devils advocate, didn't he make some insanely shitty movie with Ed Norton? Something about being a rabbi and a priest wanting the same girl??? What the hell was that called?

CherryVineGurl
03-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by sizzlingsteaks
what is the "Chicken Pot Pie" guy?

I saw Punch Drunk Love recently...it was a very character-driven movie, but for me it lacked plot. I like Adam Sandler in it though, I thought the casting director did an excellent job.

David was in a couple episodes of Just Shoot Me on NBC and played Elliots little brother. He was pretending to be slow so he didnt have to go to college. "Chicken pot Chicken pot Chicken pot piiiiiie".

CherryVineGurl
03-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Wasnt Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson in a serious movie where they played two heroin addicts? What was that called?

agent_PUNT
03-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by CherryVineGurl
Wasnt Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson in a serious movie where they played two heroin addicts? What was that called?

Muppets take Manhatten?

Fruitsnake
03-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Permanent Midnight

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120788/

Ben played the guy who wrote for ALF. Excellent film about addiction and sometimes really really funny, in a very dark way.

Shim Sham
04-07-2004, 03:20 PM
I can't believe no one has yet mentioned Bob's short called "Of Buildings and Women". It's my fav along with Manson from the Stiller DVD. On the DVD commentary, his demeanor is deliciously dark ("Funny is as Funny does"x3).

DJKL
04-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Essentially Bob rocked out on the Ben Stiller show.

"Of Buildings and Women" and "Manson" are two of my favourite things of all time (especially the Manson out-takes mentioned earlier). They are just masterpieces of comedy.

The weird thing about Bob is I love to watch him no matter what he does, or how small the part is. For example, the highlights of "Let America Laugh" are the tiny parts with Bob.

I mean I find David hilarious, but a bit scary too. I think I'd actually want to be friends with Bob.

There is just something magnetic about the guy. He makes me want to be gay.

keepthechaaange
04-08-2004, 12:53 AM
i love the "kill doug sczathky" bit with bob as the rapper. the lyrics to that are hilarious, especially when he's saying where doug lives and when he gets home.