PDA

View Full Version : The not-so-obvious...

ProfessorMurder
02-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Wanted to get a thread running on the little things in Mr. Show that are funny, but not so obvious...things that happen relatively quick and that you'll only catch if you're paying attention.

Two of my personal favorites:

1) In Episode 301 (Heaven's Chimney), when David's about to be kidnapped, and John and Jay grab him, he grabs his throat like he's being choked, for no apparent reason. I always thought that was a funny reaction.

2) In Episode 408 (Like Chickens...Delicious Chickens) during Civil War Re-Enactments, during one of the still montages, Abraham Lincoln (Dino) is beating the shit out of a black soldier (Jerry Minor). That is quintessential Mr. Show.

Any thoughts?

GitOffMyLand
02-05-2004, 02:17 PM
In the first Ronnie Dobbs trailer arrest scene, when he accuses his "bitch" of being a "professional lie-ologist": there's a whole bunch of assorted debris outside of their trailer, including, god love it, a fucking *vacuum cleaner*.

Also in the closing "Goin' on a Holidaaaaay" song, when everyone's trailing off, no longer singing words but just sort of moaning: right before the scene cuts away to the final production logo, Paul Tompkins drops the golf club he's carrying. I don't know why that makes me laugh, but it does.

Finally, and as the quote at the bottom of my posts suggests, the "Take Back the Streets" sketch, where the security guard is talking to the police officers after the thugs are arrested: "They were *hitting* me, with their *hands*... and that one, that one *said* something to me, also..."

GitOffMyLand
02-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey, I just tried to answer the message you sent me, but it won't go through.

Anyhow, in the scene following the "Tera Da Loo! Tera Da Lie! Tera Da Low!" outburst, when Jay and John and Tom are trying to deprogram David: why is there all of that Chinese food all over the place? And why is John wearing a red sweatsuit ensemble?

ProfessorMurder
02-05-2004, 02:34 PM
It should work now.

Keith Myath
02-08-2004, 02:36 PM
When Grass Valley Greg showed us around his office, we see the sign that says, "Arbeit icht speil," the German version of GVG's "Work is play" mantra. This, of course, is an allusion to the sign at the gates of Dachau that read "Arbeit Macht Frei" ("Work Makes Freedom"). I always thought that was a brilliant, since both were blatant lies.

whateverman
02-26-2004, 01:18 AM
Bob actually pointed this one out in the commentary, but I always loved when, in the Nostradamus sketch, he falls down saying "The number four!" So funny!

I also find it really funny how at the end of "Joke the Musical" Bob is completely out of tune, and David comes in, and sings REALLY loudly to get Bob back in the right note.

Epsilon
02-27-2004, 12:49 PM
In my all time favorite sketch -- Pre Taped Call In Show -- I laughed my ass of when David kept pulling the TVs into the frame showing episodes from previous weeks. In each one he had a little more hair. When he got to week one he had a full, fluffy afro. Hilarious!

Also, in Streak-Dome '97 I absolutely loved Sarah Silverman. She only had a small part playing some groupie with a crush on Bob, but her facial expressions at the bar were comedy gold!