PDA

View Full Version : Suggest me some Python

DoctorDelicious
01-04-2006, 02:14 AM
So, Ive seen only the required amount of Monty Python, Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life, and maybe one more.

The point is, Id like to see more, but I dont know what to get. Any suggestions?

Also, this part of BUTM seriously needed some more posts.

Rabot
01-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Pretty much any flying circus series is gold. I'd rent them one disc at a time so you could decide which ones you want to buy.

Here is a good episode guide to get you started.

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/FlyingCircus.html

Peace and enjoy.

pg13
01-04-2006, 04:06 AM
I take it they don't carry BBC America on the local cable franchise in Buttlick, Ohio, eh?

Damn shame, because they still run Python on a fairly regular basis. Nothing like flipping through the channels to see a class being taught how to protect one's self when being attacked by a man carrying a banana...or the Upper Class Twit of the Year games...or efforts to purchase cheese from The Cheese Shop...or, everyone else's favorite game show--Blackmail!

Without it, I think you just have to bite the bullet and start saving your pennies to buy them all... Even in the last season, without Cleese, there's still enough to warrant owning pretty much every episode...

pg--remembers that watching Python on PBS was the first chance he ever got to see a woman's bare breasts...other than his mother's...and So-Called Intelligent Designer bless 'em for that--seattle

McAllister
01-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Alrighty:

Monty Python:
Flying Circus
And now for something completely different
Live at the Hollywood bowl (IMO the best version of 'nudge nudge wink wink')
Fliegender Zirkus (the two german episodes of Flying Circus)

Non-Python:
At last the 1948 show
Do not adjust your set
How to irritate people
Fawlty Towers
Looks like a brown trouser job
Jabberwocky
The Rutles

Occupant
01-04-2006, 01:45 PM
I saw Do Not Adjust Your Set in a video store recently, and I was thinking about renting it. Is it good? I read all about in in their book.

McAllister
01-04-2006, 08:06 PM
I say check it out, but be warned it was designed for kids.

bertiewooster
01-06-2006, 08:53 AM
As a huge Monty Python fan, I say the best sketch they ever did was the 'Yorkshireman' one, being a Yorkie myself this one really appealed to me.
The BBC shows are worth trawling through as well, there are some absolute classics (and some utter rubbish).
Have a look at this a signed photo of the Pythons.
http://www.britishcomedyautographs.co.uk/pages3.htm

If you like python I strongly recommend you seek out the BBC series by Spike Milligan 'Q' it was brilliant.

all the best

Tony

pollypry
01-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Get $150.

Send it to me.

Then truuuuuust.

agent_PUNT
01-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Woody Allen's "everything you wanted to know about sex...but were afraid to ask"

that's a good python movie too.

(the title is something like that)

pg13
01-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by bertiewooster
As a huge Monty Python fan, I say the best sketch they ever did was the 'Yorkshireman' one, being a Yorkie myself this one really appealed to me.

Except that "Four Yorkshiremen" wasn't a Python sketch, not originally, anyway... It was done for the "At Last the 1948 Show" and was originally done by John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Marty Feldman and Tim Brooke-Taylor--in the pre-Python era...

It is certainly true that the Pythons would do the sketch during their live shows--as it was always a crowd pleaser--but I don't believe it was ever done during a "Flying Circus" episode...

Not only have the Pythons done this sketch...sometimes with the odd non-Python member sitting in for a missing Python member in some performances...but it was most recently performed by Eddie Izzard, Vic Reeves, Harry Enfield and Alan Rickman on the Amnesty International benefit "We Know Where You Live Live" DVD.

Kvetching aside, you're absolutely right, Bertie...The Four Yorkshiremen sketch...very passable, very passable indeed.

pg--seattle

PS--Sorry to nitpick. To me, this was sort of like saying "My favorite Python is 'All You Need Is Cash' by The Rutles." Well, I happen to think The Rutles is brilliant, too...but it isn't Python...despite the involvement of Idle and Palin (plus regular Python music collaborator Neil Innes.)

5InchTaint
01-06-2006, 05:59 PM
I met Neil Innes and his wife and helped videotape one of his live Ego Warrior performances in NYC a few months ago. A really good show by a really nice guy. He also did a small part in the movie my friend is making (I'm in it as well), so be on the look out for that.
http://www.terminalproduct.com/beat/beat.html

fritter
01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
i thought v. was his best, though gravity's rainbow was just as challenging. oh wait, you wanted pythons .....

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rogers/rockyhulk.jpg

fritter
01-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Some snakes, however, may prefer their prey to be moving before they will take it, and this can be accomplished with a pair of long-handled tongs or forceps (never touch a dead mouse with your bare skin when you are feeding a snake; the snake may mistake your hand for a food item and bite you). Using the tongs, hold the mouse by the tail and dangle it gently a few inches from the snake's face. After a few exploratory tongue-flicks, your snake will seize the food and go through the motions of constricting it. If your snake seems reluctant to feed, lightly touching the food item to the snake's nose may be enough to trigger the feeding response. If your snake repeatedly strikes at the mouse and then quickly withdraws, it means he is not hungry. Try again in a day or so. (Please note that most snakes will stop eating for a period of several weeks before they shed their skin.)

In very rare instances, you may obtain a snake which refuses to eat pre-killed food. This is unusual with specimens which are captive-bred, since most breeders prefer to feed pre-killed food to their snakes. It is more likely that a snake which refuses pre-killed food is wild-caught. In any case, in nearly every instance the snake can be trained to eventually accept dead food animals. One way to do this is to feed a live animal and, immediately afterwards, while the snake is still in an eating mood, place a pre-killed prey animal near its jaws until it seizes it and begins swallowing. Next, use the "jiggling on a forceps" method to make the snake think the prey is live. Eventually, the snake will come to accept pre-killed prey without any problem.

An unfortunate lesson from my own snake experiences may help to drive home and emphasize the point about feeding live prey animals. When I first began keeping snakes, I had a beautiful young five-foot Reticulated Python who, unlike most members of her species, was calm and tractable and easy to handle. One day, I opened her cage and plopped a nice fat live hamster inside to feed her, as I had done routinely at least several dozen times before. The Python promptly seized the hamster by the side of its body, but failed to get a good grip and hesitated for barely a moment. Whereupon, in an instant, the hamster, with its last bit of energy before it went into shock, turned and bit the snake squarely in the skull. Within seconds, both were dead. Ever since, all of my snakes get pre-killed prey exclusively.

Please learn from my mistake, and do not ever feed your snakes live prey animals.

McAllister
01-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Even though nobody probably gives a fuck, John Cleese is coming to Australia in September to do a stand-up tour...even though it will most likely be a let down i'm stoked.

MrsSartre
01-07-2006, 03:51 PM
If you can get your hands on 'Monty Python's Flying Circus-Just The Words', I highly recommend doing so, especially for anyone who writes sketch comedy. I keep this book on my nightstand.

klaus_kinski
01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by MrsSartre
If you can get your hands on 'Monty Python's Flying Circus-Just The Words', I highly recommend doing so, especially for anyone who writes sketch comedy. I keep this book on my nightstand.

I keep astroglide on my nightstand. I keep the bottle IN my nightstand