PDA

View Full Version : Philouza

VanHammersly42
02-18-2004, 01:31 PM
I just wanted some other people's opinions on this. When I watched the audio commentary for the episode with the "Philouza" sketch, I was a little surprised that everyone seemed to classify that sketch as one of their best ones. One thing that I have always loved about the show is that they don't take the easy road by doing parodies all the time, they are very original. Although this sketch was a very well done and funny parody of the movie "Amadeaus", I wouldnt classify it as one of there strongest sketches. They also dont mention at all that it was a direct parody of "Amadeaus". I just thought that it was a little strange. I'd like to know if anybody else thought the same thing, or if I'm just crazy...dont answer that.

gerald hennessy
02-18-2004, 02:49 PM
IMO...
While "Philousa" does get alot of ammo from Amadeus (the genius/insane[?] composer, the jealous rival) part of the scetch is also referencing John Phillips Sousa the American composer who wrote marches.

http://www.dws.org/sousa/

ie I don't see the scetch as a 1:1 parody of Amadeus. Does anyone else have any insight into some aspects of the scetch and how they related to Sousa? For example did he and his wife only have girls ("You WILL bear me a marching band [boy]"); did he have a jealous rival; was he quite the ladies man etc.

As for not thinking the scetch is one of the strongest, that's simply a personal observation--as it is with all of their work (and any art). For example I think Philousa is hilarious (you don't) but i'm not that fond of F.F. Woodycook's (many are). Whatever. Who cares. It's all pretty damn good and better than 90% of the shit on television most of the time.

dane atkinson
02-18-2004, 10:19 PM
i have a different opinion....that whole sketch, while being based on amadeus, is an indirect reference to how the show's underground type of humor is not understood by many of the people who watch it, and in turn dont get it and refute it....john says it to philouza after he does his thing in front of the president...he says something like...although philouza's music was inspired and innovative, people wont understand what he means, you see, people fear what they dont understand.....yadada...but the basis is that they are goofing on every other sitcom and comedy show by saying that they all follow one line, and because people can understand dumbed down jokes, they like it better...

Dr. Nick
02-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Nice thought Dane...I like it and will now pawn it off as my own.

precient muse
02-22-2004, 06:40 PM
the philouza sketch is one of the funniest sketches ever produced on that show. why? many reasons. it's intelligent, well-executed, subtle, etc.

and if it is somewhat parodic in its construction, it is not straight-forward parody. it reduces some of the themes and characters of amadeus to absurdity, but it also makes the ingenious move of placing them in the context of lat 19th century america.

and the stuff about going out to have a phosphate & and the construction of such sentences as "but, it came not from me, rather, from that amorous rogue philouza" & about having eaten a few too many of mr. graham's crackers...

give me a break! that is hilarious stuff and we all know it.

VanHammersly42
02-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by precient muse
the philouza sketch is one of the funniest sketches ever produced on that show. why? many reasons. it's intelligent, well-executed, subtle, etc.

and if it is somewhat parodic in its construction, it is not straight-forward parody. it reduces some of the themes and characters of amadeus to absurdity, but it also makes the ingenious move of placing them in the context of lat 19th century america.

and the stuff about going out to have a phosphate & and the construction of such sentences as "but, it came not from me, rather, from that amorous rogue philouza" & about having eaten a few too many of mr. graham's crackers...

give me a break! that is hilarious stuff and we all know it.

Well, yes of course the sketch is intellegent, well executed, and subtle. That is what makes it Mr. Show, I think that describes all of their sketches. I was just splitting hairs. However, i think that one of the funniest things they did from that sketch was write out the transcription of Philouza's ranting into actual score form. "Bang, Crash, Toot-Toot, Ratta tat tat." That was beautiful.

Stabby
02-25-2004, 08:54 PM
:ROLLEYES@ ALL OF YOU

gerald hennessy
02-25-2004, 09:15 PM
You're just jealous.

Dart Shitter
03-08-2004, 05:16 PM
One of my all time favorite sketches. I wanted to name my band Philouza because I write music similar to him by writing out sounds and rythm phrases rather archaicly but my friends band is called Yakuza and the ryhming thing bugs me too much

shitty shitty dart dart

EviL4z
03-16-2004, 05:44 PM
The Philouza sketch is really comedy genius. The fact that Bob's character is an idiot savant is what made it for me. Not sure which commentary said it, but Bob always ends up playing the idiots. As you go through the series, it's pretty true and that's one thing that made me laugh about the sketch. I also did appreciate the sketch more when I heard the commentary. Plus, Troy Millers directing is fantastic. Some of his best work. It's no Coupon: The Movie, but it's amazing.

agent_PUNT
03-16-2004, 07:34 PM
They probably love that skit because there was so much fun/stress involved. That was a big project for everyone involved. In "What the hell happened?!" I think they talk more about how they had to write the music last minute and riding that big wheeled bike was a nightmare. If read, that sketch wouldn't be funny, and it seems like everyone saw how great it could play on screen. Hard work paid off. I think it's pretty fucking fantastic, spoof or not. Bob makes the best idiots. Compliment du jour.

VanHammersly42
03-19-2004, 03:37 AM
actually, the only problem I have with that sketch is that Eban wrote music for the sketch that was way more interesting, passionate, and thought-provoking than anything that Sousa wrote in his time. I mean Washington Post March??? What a bunch of hackey bullshit.

agent_PUNT
03-19-2004, 12:13 PM
hah, wow i've never seen such hatred/passion for marching band music. This is gotta be the dude who paid $12 bucks to see "Drum Line".

VanHammersly42
03-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Actually, i did catch that movie on HBO last summer. That was probably one of the more hilarious movies I've seen in my life. By hilarious I mean the most awful display of rudimental drumming that I've seen since Jr. High. It was a little frustrating.

AmericanCaesar
03-23-2004, 09:47 PM
agent_PUNT said:

"hah, wow i've never seen such hatred/passion for marching band music. This is gotta be the dude who paid $12 bucks to see "Drum Line"."

that's the funniest shit I've read on this site yet.

VanHammersly42
03-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by AmericanCaesar

that's the funniest shit I've read on this site yet. [/B]

Wow...you guys sure know funny! Why can't i see the hilarity?? Oh well, i guess i'll just give up.

tjamick
04-08-2004, 03:35 PM
John Phillips Sousa is the guy who wrote "Liberty Bell" aka the monty python theme music. i wonder if its not a subtle referance to flying circus. (they're obviously huge fans)

Professor LSD
04-14-2004, 05:39 PM
I love that skit... however I think one of their better complete 'works' was the hacked together "Best of Mr Show" season three.. the news cast thingy.

That was so oddball strange, I love it. Even the credits are funny, when they are all waving bye.. and it sort of looks like Bob N David were added into the film.. then you see the 'Editorial guy' stop waving for a second and look at david. LOL that one gets me everytime. David doing the girl news castor was halarity.. plus the execution and transition to the "Druggachuttes" skit was perfect. The underlying "sexist" humor (telling her to answer the phone).. etc.. perfect!

Professor LSD
04-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Another brilliant piece was the "Traveling Sales man" musical.

The milk machine is the greatest most halarious part of Mr Show ever. Everyone Ive ever introduced Mr Show to agree's that the Milk Machine is halarious...no... fucking halarious.

Im the hated milk machine
everybody hates me now
For doing what Im told
he was trying to be bold
Why cant people keep their willies out of holes

The costume was great... and The Bob pulled it off perfectly. it makes me laugh just thinking about it... it is forever burned into my mind allong with the Drugachuttes skit.

knock knock knock
knock knock knock
knock forevermore