PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Cancelled TV shows

basilnuts2000
02-25-2004, 01:50 PM
http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=150652

Pretty interesting read, I was especially happy with the number one show...

Some of the choices weren't the best, but theres some pretty decent shows in the mix.

Fruitsnake
02-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Ah, nice list.

My favorite tv shows show up there. Family Guy, Freaks and Geeks, Mr. Show, Firefly, Ben Stiller Show, News Radio. *sigh*

It's great that Mr. Show is #1. I completely agree, and it could lead to more people introducing themselves to the most delicious of comedies...

dane atkinson
02-25-2004, 10:41 PM
i just saw that...i think thats awesome.....does anybody know much about the writer??? dave mccoy is his name....im looking for more of his articles...i can think of a few more....

duckman
the critic
almost live (an old show on comedy central- out of seattle--bill nye was on it in the early 90s)
and some others i cant think of..

Epsilon
02-27-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm a die-hard Mr. Show fan, I think it's brilliant and I love watching my DVDs over and over. But I bought The Ben Stiller Show DVD set and I have to say I am a little disappointed. Maybe I just don't "get it" but I've watched the first three episodes so far and the only time I laughed was when Skank the sock puppet went blind from splashing bacon grease in his eyes.

I'll watch the rest, but based on what I had heard I was hoping it was nearly as good as Mr. Show. Sorry to say, it's not.

agent_PUNT
03-08-2004, 01:41 PM
There was a short lived show a few years back called "Undeclared". Does anyone remember it? It was just kids in first year college. It was a pretty decent show. Had some good laughs. Adam Sandler even did a cameo for a full episode. He banged some college girl. It was pretty damn funny.

waffle
03-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Oh come on Eplsilon, you didnt laugh at the Tom Cruise or Bruce Springsteen impressions? I sort of agree with you though. Its not even close to Mr. Show, but the Tom Cruise thing is hilarious, I mean its pretty dead on. And the giant nose he has on for Bruce is great.

Dart Shitter
03-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I was a fan of the Ben Stiller show when it was originally on I bought the DVd set and found myself not laughing that much but one thing stayed the same and that is that then and now my favorite sketeches are the Grady's Oats commericals. The parodies are weakly written and the original characters played by Stiller are to linear. Ben's show was and is his best work but it doesn't seem to stand the test of time like I feel Mr. Show will. Kids in the Hall was out at the same time the BSS was and it was a million times funnier and original, and get this...it had no cheesy impersonations of real people.

Epsilon
03-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by waffle
Oh come on Eplsilon, you didnt laugh at the Tom Cruise or Bruce Springsteen impressions? I sort of agree with you though. Its not even close to Mr. Show, but the Tom Cruise thing is hilarious, I mean its pretty dead on. And the giant nose he has on for Bruce is great.
Stiller is good at the impressions but they just sort of made me chuckle. They weren't "laugh out loud so hard your stomach hurts" type of funny like Mr. Show is.

I haven't watched the 2nd BSS DVD yet, but I will.

whateverman
03-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Actually, the best Ben Stiller show stuff is in the second DVD... which are the episodes in which David Cross was a writer. Coincidence? Hmmm...

Bob's stuff is the best. And David's "O Pootertoot" sketch is laugh out loud funny.

keepthechaaange
03-08-2004, 11:03 PM
i really like the "melrose heights 90210-2402" sketches. mostly because the song they play at the end of each sketch has the line "i am a young adult and i'm in love" even when it makes no sense. but there are too many outdated references to make the show too great. still pretty good though.

sizzlingsteaks
03-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Some questionable choices, but I'm thinking about checking out Sports Night.

Was anyone else here a fan of the short-lived Andy Richter Controls the Universe? I have all 14 episodes on the computer. How come no one picked up on it? It was one of the funniest shows network TV could allow.

duandsku
03-09-2004, 10:23 AM
I much prefer the first disc of the Ben Stiller show. I think you have to remember what the world of 1993 was like to enjoy it. But I LOVE the Lucky Clovers commercial and The Grungies. The Dandruff commercial... But most of all...Beverly Heights 90210-2402. That's on my favorite sketches of all time list, for certain. There's so many little things I loved. For anyone that doesn't think that show can make you laugh hard, know that I laughed harder watching a lot of those sketches than I ever had in my life. I was in heaven watching it all on DVD for the first time. But none of my other Mr. Show friends really like it that much, so you're not alone for not getting it.

waffle
03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Man, so I watched the last few episodes of the Benstiller show last night. I finally see what people were talking about with the o'pootertoot sketch. It was definitely Mr. Show quality, the best sketch of the whole show. That whole episode was so good. I noticed that when David was writing, Bob had more parts and the sketches were really good. Too bad that was the last episode to ever air.

whateverman
03-09-2004, 11:01 PM
If it's true that when David wrote Bob got more parts, it's probably a coincidence, since they weren't that good friends when they were on Ben Stiller Show.

And while I do think that the overall quality of the show was really good, so much of the stuff is SO dated, that it's hard to enjoy it nowadays. I mean, I was 13 when that show aired, and I GET some of the references, they're just...dated.

You'll never be able to say that about Mr Show. 10 years from now, it'll still hold up.