PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for america original script

HansMoleMan
02-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Hi there. I thought this was very interesting and awesome. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3800329256&category=18833. It is a bid for the script for "Hooray For America" the Mr Show movie that was supposed to be, but Run ronnie run was made instead. I wish i had money because id buy this mofo in a second.

keepthechaaange
02-29-2004, 11:57 PM
is there any new news on whether or not "hooray for america" will ever get made? i know it's mostly in the hands of whatever studio owns the script right now but hopefully someone has further insight.

also, does anyone know what "hooray for america" is about or even anything about the script in general? i cant find anything on it other than bob and david think it's really funny.

HansMoleMan
03-01-2004, 01:46 PM
i have no idea whether it will be made. that would be most excellent, but you saw what happened with run ronnie run, so i dont know if it will ever happen. i also have been looking everywhere for a sypnosis of the script or some actual dialougue but i cant get anything. Maybe the person who buys this thing will post the script online. that would be great

JuanBallsac
03-02-2004, 12:39 AM
It is I JuanBallsac.

Mole fella dont worry your pretty little growth-

im gonna win this motherfucker, and post it for the world.

nobody should be deprived of a read like this.

i posted this in the nude,btw. heroin rules.

HansMoleMan
03-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Thats awesome. Your the man. ANd heroin does rule. And crack.

keepthechaaange
03-02-2004, 07:54 PM
ok, so i searched around and found out what it's basically about (even though i already kinda knew, i had just forgotten that i knew it). it's basically about globochem becoming a political party and getting their candidate to be the president (david). and then a bunch of stuff about them ruining america or something until david is finally impeached.

that is a VERY BASIC description. i'm almost positive it's the same as the tour they did a few years ago, which was basically a live version of the movie. so search for a review of the tour if you want more info. i know pitchfork has a pretty extensive review of it, but i'd try other places too.

ALSO, PRETTY EXCITING NEWS: i was on the tenacious d message board in the mr. show section and there is a really long thread about dino that dino actually answers questions in and he mentions that there is a script for a new mr. show movie in the works as we speak. it's in the beginning stages so he didnt give much information. when they finish the script, i really hope they decide to just make the movie themselves instead of shopping it to universal studios or something. i'm sure they could get plenty of money from fan donations alone, and would make up any other expenses from fans seeing the movie 5 times each.

phew, someone get me a towel.

HansMoleMan
03-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Wow you really know how to make a person happy. Thats really cool about the movie in the works. I mustve missed that one cause i always check out the d message boards. Thanks for the update, heres my towel, i dont know if you want to use it. You know. Cause of the semen.

agent_PUNT
03-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, I tried my best. I got up to $162.50 and was outbid. Anyone know who got it?

Birdcrest
03-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi there.

I won the auction, then promptly received notification from Bob & David's manager that the seller and I would face legal action if we went through with it. Rightly so. I'm not evil, so I'm not going through with it. I had planned to use the script as a guide for writing my own - as a diagram of the craft of good comedy writing - not to steal ideas or exploit Bob & David in some small, retarded way. Since I've considered spending roughly the same amount for improv classes, etc., I imagined this script as kind of the Dead Sea scrolls of comedic tutorials. Ah well, fuck it.

- Scrolling Tutorial Comedic Retard

HansMoleMan
03-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Dammit im sorry to hear that. Did Stalin and Hitler have a baby that grew up to be Bob and David's manager? Someone should look into that.

keepthechaaange
03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
why would you face legal action? that doesnt make any sense to my ignorant brain.

Birdcrest
03-04-2004, 02:10 PM
The manager's just doing his job. I'm sure no one likes seeing their shit brokered on eBay without their permission. The seller is the one who faced the real legal threat; I would have been merely "implicated".

agent_PUNT
03-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Well first off, congrats. You kicked my ass nice and good. You were getting a good deal at $200.00, infact it turns out too good to be true. I'm curious as to who the seller is and how he got a copy in the first place. I too was hoping to use it as a guide for how to write a good movie. Guess I'll have to go back to stealing ideas from British television.

whateverman
03-05-2004, 02:16 AM
You outbid me at the last second for that script!, (my maximum bid was $200, but had I been close to a computer, I would've bid more) I was pissed at first, but now I guess I'm kinda glad that you won, since you got that e-mail from their manager, and it would've been me, lol.

Anyway, there was an article in Entertainment Weekly, where David said that he and Bob ARE working on a new movie, and they're in talks with HBO to make some sort of 1 hour special, kind of a Mr Show reunion, that could be based on "Hurray for America"

whateverman
03-05-2004, 02:48 AM
Oh, and David also said they would raise the money themselves to make the movie, (fuck, I'll contribute $15!) and that it would be more of a series of sketches instead of a "normal" movie.

Whatever, just go to EW.com, the interview's there.

keepthechaaange
03-05-2004, 08:37 AM
here is the text from that EW.com interview:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As incompetent doctor-turned-bad actor Tobias Funke on Fox's twisted family sitcom ''Arrested Development'' (Sundays, 9:30 p.m.), David Cross could be channeling a bizarro character from his own sketch comedy TV series, ''Mr. Show,'' which ran on HBO from 1995 to '98. EW.com talked to Cross about why he's not too surprised his quirky sitcom is still around, why ''Mr. Show'' may return to HBO, and which new comedian you've never heard of is as hot as Chris Rock.

Everyone said ''Arrested Development'' was too original to survive on network TV, but you're still here. Are you surprised?

I kind of vacillate between being surprised and not being surprised. I know the rumors were that the network was very supportive of it. And as difficult as it is to discern whether executives are being genuine or disingenuous or full of s---, you err on the side of trusting that they really like it. Plus in a pragmatic sense, Fox has had a s---ty year with a lot of shows eating it, and this is the one show that's garnered tons of critical acclaim. You've got to attribute some of our survival to the press too. Two thirds of the reviews I've read said, ''It's so good it will probably get canceled because Fox doesn't know what to do with it,'' and I think that's the critics' way to ensure that it stays on.

What lured you back to a regular TV gig?

The show is f---ing great and it's one of the most pleasurable atmospheres I've ever worked in. It's one of those rare occurrences where there's no ego, and it's unfortunate how rare that is. Everybody approaches a scene asking, what's the best thing to do here? That's kind of what we had on ''Mr. Show,'' and that's why in part it was so successful.

Will there ever be a ''Mr. Show'' reunion?

Bob [Odenkirk] and I just met with HBO three days ago about an idea we had. We recently toured with a show that we based on a movie script we had written, and we asked HBO about doing this show as a one-off special. I won't go into all the details just yet, but we're waiting to hear. It would be a one-off special. And Bob and I wrote a movie script we want to get out there. It's going to be really low budget, because no one wants to make it, so we may have to raise $3 million and shoot it ourselves. It's a sketch movie. Our theory (and we'll have to prove it to everybody who didn't want to take a chance on this script) is that people don't give a s--- about a lack of story. If people know they're gonna laugh, they'll go to a movie.

Your movie, ''Run Ronnie Run'' [about a loser who becomes famous], never made it to theaters and was released as a DVD last year. What went wrong?

You'll have to talk to the people at New Line. I had nothing to do with it. Well, I had something to do with it up until the last day of shooting, and then I had nothing to do with it. It was a s---ty experience, it was disappointing, and it was unfortunately not the movie it could have been. Some of that responsibility lies with us, but the bulk of that responsibility lies with [director] Troy Miller and New Line.

Has that experience had an impact on the projects you've chosen since then?

The lesson learned is, as Reagan said, trust but verify. I would trust Bob, but you never know when ego is going to rear its ugly head with other people.

Do you still have time for writing now that you're on a weekly TV show?

''Arrested Development'' is nice because I'm just acting in it. I don't have to stay in the office and write until midnight, and I don't have to sit in an editing room. But until I die I'm always going to be working on stuff where I'm writing and producing. Right now I'm producing a pilot for Showtime to turn Vice magazine into a half-hour TV show. To use lazy terms, it's very cutting edge, underground, whatever.

Are there any other comedians out there who could follow in ''Mr. Show'''s shoes right now?

There's a guy nobody knows about yet. He's a young guy from London named Daniel Kitson, and he's honestly the funniest comic I've ever seen in my life. Seeing him was the first great stand-up experience I had since Chris Rock's ''Bring the Pain'' special. I want to do whatever I can to introduce him to the U.S.

For a funny guy you have an exceptional singing voice. Ever think about cutting an album?

[Sarcastically] I'm touring with ''La Traviata'' in Branson, Mo. And I'm doing an adult contemporary CD, all country and western songs. I'm gonna cover Toby Keith. All Toby Keith and maybe some Lee Greenwood. I want to make it as palatable to middle America as possible. My target demo shops at Target, too, so I want to get it in there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

all this talk about a mr. show special and movie is making my pants go crazy. i might have a heartattack from just hoping that they both happen. please god, let hbo pull their heads out of their asses and let this happen. PLEASE.

Birdcrest
03-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Based on the amounts we all were willing to fork over for the mere script of a project, it appears the 3 or 4 of us here could fund at least the main title sequence of the next film.

agent_PUNT
03-05-2004, 02:37 PM
I thought of a great way for Bob and David to raise money for their new project. They could use this whole e-bay experience to their advantage. They should go on e-bay and auction off seats to the premiere of the movie. you fiugre 100 seats for die-hard fans at, what, $1000.00 bucks a seat? I'm no mathineer, but that is approx $100,000. For a quick meet and greet, and a movie debut I'd say that's a pretty good deal. There has to be more people out there willing to pay for that experience... right?

gerald hennessy
03-05-2004, 10:49 PM
I LOVE Bob and David. I LOVE Mr. Show. But I don't think I would spend $1000 for a seat to a premiere and I doubt anyone else here would either. Hundred maybe. I could be wrong though.

Dart Shitter
03-08-2004, 06:00 PM
B and D should ask Jack Black to help finance the movie, he's making miliions now and seems to to give a fuck about the money he makes. I think that Hooray for America would at least break even at a 3 million dollar budget.