PDA

View Full Version : Numbers for Arrested Development

sizzlingsteaks
03-18-2004, 04:50 PM
The numbers are in for the post-"American Idol" episode of "Arrested Development".

FOX moved into the lead at 9 p.m. with a 10.5/17 average. The conclusion of "American Idol" jumped up to 14.9/23 and was followed by "Arrested Development," which dipped to 6.1/10 (still way above its season average). NBC moved into second with a "Law & Order" repeat, 7.4/12. "Extreme Makeover" kept ABC in third. CBS dropped to fourth with "The King of Queens," 6.4/10, and the premiere of "The Stones," 5.0/8. A second "Smallville" held onto fifth for The WB, while UPN's "Enterprise" rerun averaged 1.3/2.

"Arrested Development" lost more than half of its lead-in audience, but it was expected, as "Idol" remains television's No. 2 rated show, after "CSI". By comparison, when the second episode of the new Molly Shannon comedy "Cracking Up" aired after "Idol" last week in the same time slot, it received a 6.6/10 opposite a rerun of "Law And Order" on NBC, "Extreme Makeover" on ABC, and "Yes, Dear" on CBS.

agent_PUNT
03-18-2004, 06:00 PM
To put it in perspective, WWE Monday night Raw does a 4.0

thommy_rotten
03-18-2004, 06:18 PM
F the numbers. America sucks. That was comedy gold! BTW. Portia De Rossi is going to be doing at chat at MSN tommorow. 6:30 eastern! We can ask her what it's like to be married to Dave. Going off on a tangent....why isn't Dave on the show more. Tobias is in a three-way tie for best character with GOB and Buster!

sizzlingsteaks
03-19-2004, 03:36 AM
I understand that viewership and the quality of the program has no correlation, but in order for "Arrested" to survive its first season, it'd better find more audience outside of its core niche audience, and soon. Otherwise it will face an ending similar to "Andy Richter" and "Family Guy".

agent_PUNT
03-19-2004, 09:23 AM
When Cheers first started it was the lowest rated show on television. But they didn't have a choice but to leave it on because they had nothing to replace it with. Maybe times have changed now, who knows.

thommy_rotten
03-19-2004, 06:37 PM
That's why it's good that Fox aired it after Idol and that FX is running this marathon on Sunday! We need more people to give it chance - it's too damn funny to go off the air. Tell everyone you know to check out the marathon - I'm pretty sure it starts at 2 - and to watch Sunday night's new episode!!! We need to save this show!!! Do it for Buster!!!!!!!!!!!!1

waffle
03-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Man, I still havent seen Arrested Development. What is the premise of this show? Is David in it or write episodes? I take it that its pretty funny... Ill have access to a TV for a three week period in two weeks Ill have to try and find it.

whateverman
03-21-2004, 07:31 PM
David is not a writer, he only acts in it. As for the premise.. .Well, it's about the wealthy Bluth family, where the dad (Jeffrey Tambor) is the owner of the Bluth company, and is imprisoned for misuse of funds, stealing from company, etc (whole bunch of charges). And it's up to the only "normal" son of the family, Michael, to help out everyone (Since they're all completely clueless).
David plays "Dr Tobias Funke", Michael's brother in law. He's married to Michael's twin sister, Lindsey (played by Portia de Rossi). He used to be a psychiatrist, but is currently pursuing a career as an "actor"- he tries really hard, but hasn't been too successful. Also, his sexuality is very ambiguous (ie he's gay, a fact that eberyone but himself seems to be aware of ), and he used to have a "never nude" affliction (which is just what it sounds like) but he recently got over that. Cross is hilarious in that role, really worth checking out.

Then again, the rest of the cast is awesome, and they make great use of guest stars (Bob Odenkirk, Julia Louis Dreyfuss, Henry Winkler, and Heather Graham among others)

waffle
03-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Sounds interesting. And Im sure David rocks it. What channel is it on? and what time sos when I get to a TV I wont have to actually do any work to find it. You guys can do it for me now.

keepthechaaange
03-21-2004, 11:41 PM
tonight's episode was kinda average. although i loved david's physical comedy, first when he jumped on gob's back to show his "catlike agility" and then later when he was sneaking around julia louis dreyfus' house. i hope he becomes more of a regular instead of disappearing for episodes every now and again.

sizzlingsteaks
03-22-2004, 06:15 AM
"Arrested Development" is on every Sunday at 9:30 on FOX. Sunday is the traditional launching pad for most of FOX's comedies, as its flagship stalwart "The Simpsons" makes a great lead-in for most freshmen comedies. Usually, a new show will air either after "The Simpsons" at 8:30, or after "Malcolm In The Middle" at 9:30. In "Arrested Development"'s case, because of its distinctive appeal, it airs at the later timeslot. It will likely move to a weeknight timeslot if it survives its first season.

agent_PUNT
03-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Man, they cram so much into each half hour episode. That would be my only complaint. They need an hour per episode to really get everything across. And that's not really a complaint. It is the freshest thing FOX has aired in years. It blows Andy Richter away.

Where does one go to get the ratings for these shows?