PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone like the 24 sketch?

kulguyssj4
04-17-2004, 08:48 AM
I was browsing the MR. SHOW book in my local Barnes and Noble, I came across the spot for the 24 is the highest # sketch. I thought it was hilarious, but Bob and David seemed to hate it? They said there was no depth. I mean, I know not all things are supposed to be as great and deep as The Bob Lamonta Story but come on. That was just hilarious.

"You got ten right, you got another ten right? What's this! Another four... 24."

tjamick
04-17-2004, 12:03 PM
i thought it sucked. the irony is that it was in the episode about medocrity. the part after it was hilarious "to say we killed 24 jews is outrageous."

3v3+Z
04-17-2004, 04:48 PM
There was something there. The seeds of something, at least. Unfortunately, there were also some seeds mixed in of a bad SNL sketch that goes on too long. There's a little of both that took root. I don't think it's nearly as annoying and drawn out as "Change for a Dollar" or "The Story of Everest". I find that I often really like the sketches that they don't and vice-versa. But the ones they don't like... I mean, there was a REASON they made it onto the show, right? There's SOMETHING funny there.

Speaking of "24", I just found out that Mary-Lynn ("Hey everybody, it's Bob & David!") Rice-Cub is on that show now. I've never seen the show. It doesn't look that funny, though.

kulguyssj4
04-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Am I the only one who likes SNL? Not the new ones, but the ones from '92 to '97. I haven't seen SNL before that except for the John Belushi era. But the 24 sketch, when he says, "The next one of you fellatos who says another # is gonna hear it from my 45." That's one of those moments you have to laugh at. I'm not saying, I only like the stupid sketches but, there is something funny about humor like that. Not too much, but there is something funny, like Weird Al.

3v3+Z
04-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by kulguyssj4
Am I the only one who likes SNL?

Oh no, I LOVE SNL! There's SOMETHING great about (ALMOST) every era of that show. 1980-'82 is pretty painful to watch. But I find that sometimes the strangest and coolest stuff comes from the "bad" seasons. That or the "10 to 1 spot" at the end of the show, when they think no one's watching. These are the times when they'll take a chance on stuff. But I'm always gonna be critical of it as well.

It's like, people ask me why I'm so picky about music; why don't I like any of the shit they play on the radio. I'm a musician. I have a critical ear. If I can't pick apart even GOOD songs and say, "AAAAAAAAH! Listen to Robert Plant COMPLETELY miss that note!!!" then how can I apply that to my own music? Does that make any sense at all?

And Weird Al: I saw him on Kilborn doing some Eminem parody from his last album and it was SO sad! He looked like... ya know when you have a shitty, shitty job and you feel like you're trapped there and you walk in and it just drains all the energy and emotion out of you. THAT'S the look I saw on Al's face! To see that look from someone who's job is to be funny is depressing. But "UHF" came on HBO the other day -- I also have the DVD... absolutely BRILLIANT!!! I mean, it wasn't the greatest STORY ever told, but it IS damn funny.

You've gotta pick up that book, by the way. They've got a quote from Al in there. Apparently, he was a fan of the show and went to some tapings. Daffy Mel Yinkleyankle's (sp?) "Superstar Machine" parody hit a little too close to home for him, though. It hurt because he knew they nailed him. And he knew they did it WELL.

waffle
04-17-2004, 06:41 PM
I think its hilarious when David comes out from behind the counter hiding behind a picture of Jesus. Its a pretty bizzare premise for a sketch and thats something at least...

Epsilon
04-17-2004, 09:04 PM
I'd have to say "24" is one of my least favorite Bob & David sketches. If I was going to show someone who had never seen Mr. Show some clips, I wouldn't show that one.

3v3+Z
04-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Epsilon
If I was going to show someone who had never seen Mr. Show some clips, I wouldn't show that one.

That makes me wonder, what WOULD you show them??? (Maybe this should be a separate thread.) I suppose it depends on the individual. If you know someone well enough, you can make a judgment about what that individual would be into. But in general, for your average regular viewer of "Friends", :rolleyes: what's the sketch that could save their soul? Here's a partial list of sketches that might have that potential:

SHAMPOO (201)
FUZZ - THE MUSICAL (303)
LIE DETECTOR (304)
BLOWING UP THE MOON (307)
TITANICCA (309)
PRE-TAPED CALL-IN SHOW (309)
TOENAPPER (403)
AUDITION (404)

Epsilon
04-18-2004, 12:53 AM
All those you listed are great. Pre-taped Call In Show and Titanica are two of my all time favorites. If I wanted to show someone what Mr. Show is all about, those are perfect choices. And of course, there are countless other great skits. I just thought '24 Is The Highest' was one of their worst. The first time I saw it I thought it was stupid. The second and third times I watched it I started seeing the humor in it (mostly because all the acting was great), but it's still below average for Bob and David in my opinion.

Edited to add a few others that I think really showcase what Bob & David are about:
- Bare Ambition & Streakdome '97, #306
- Ex Siamese Twins, #307
- The Bad News Breakers, #307
- Directions, #301
- Young People and Their Companions, #304
- "Overcome" Renouncing Homo-sin-uality, #102
- Larry Learns Guitar and I.D.S., #104
- The Basketball Recruiters, #205
- Coupon: The Movie, #206
- Adopted Son, #202
- East Coast/West Coast Ventriloquist Fued, #303

Anyone who doesn't think those are hilarious, well, they just suck. I haven't seen Season 4 yet, but I'll have it the day it's released.

neognosis
04-19-2004, 08:04 AM
I did not like the 24 skit when I first saw it, but I really like that episode as a whole, and 24 kinda grew on me. It's just funny in a very silly way. Nothing fancy about it.

And to introduce people to Mr. Show, you can't go wrong with Wyckyd Sceptre! :)

agent_PUNT
04-19-2004, 08:09 AM
Bob didn't like 24 because he doesn't like using guns in comedy. I remember reading or hearing that. It really wasn't a bad skit.

keepthechaaange
04-19-2004, 12:04 PM
there are parts of the 24 sketch that i like (bob and john are good in the sketch) but overall it's not that good. it's the only mr. show sketch i can think of off the top of my head that doesnt have a strong premise.

i do love it at the end when bob grabs david after having killed everyone and goes "YOU are my son", though. that really cracks me up.

agent_PUNT
04-19-2004, 02:16 PM
I would say that the 24 skit is along the same lines as the Lie Detector skit. They are both funny because of the acting involved in the skit. The characters are well done.

kulguyssj4
04-19-2004, 07:10 PM
I think the episodes sometimes just don't have a single theme. Like for instance, although people could say this covers mediocrity, it covers a whole other ones too. Like parodies and how much they suck. Crappy Mob movies. Soap Opera-esque siamese operation. I really liked the story of how the bad news breakers came to be in the book.

DJKL
04-20-2004, 02:29 AM
Wow. I know that opinions are like arseholes, but I gotta disagree with my friend 3v3+Z...

I am amazed that you don't like "Change for a Dollar" and the "Story of Everest" both of which would have to rate among the most memorable and hilarious Mr Show skits (in my humble opinion naturally).

Just goes to show that even though we all love Mr Show, our tastes and sense of humour are wildly different.

I'd say that's a positive reflection on the varied work of Bob and David.

And by the way, the very first show I saw was late at night here in Australia, and it contained the "Pre-taped Call In Show".

I spent the next week trying to explain that skit to every single person I met, including my wife. Everyone thought I was batshit crazy... but I made them watch the next episode, which was just as loopy, and I started a cult.

agent_PUNT
04-20-2004, 08:03 AM
pre-taped call in show was one of my early favorites. It is so fucking brilliant. The convoluted netowrk, nuff said.

TwoStates
04-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Skit's I'd include:

Bugged Drug Deal (408)
Philouza (307)
Pallies (405)
Food Ads (405)
Audition (404)
Blind House (403)
Monk Academy (402)
Watch Us Have Sex (301)
Fuzz The Musicial (303)
Lie Detector (304)
Druggachussetts (304)

Ellis D Trails
05-28-2004, 10:02 AM
This skit kills me. Its become a silly thing the wife and i say to each other around the kids....confuses the crap out of them!

I think the skit is brilliant. It just so Proposterous in nature. Then with the next highest number being added....just too funny.

Dave's voice in this KILLS me.

Ellis D Trails

CptPlanet
05-30-2004, 06:25 PM
I think Mr. Show sketches are all about individual preferences. I think 24 was definitely up to par for Mr. Show. I also think Change for a Dollar is one of the best sketches of the entire series, and I didn't care at all for Bare Ambition/Streak Dome '97

Originally posted by agent_PUNT
Bob didn't like 24 because he doesn't like using guns in comedy. I remember reading or hearing that. It really wasn't a bad skit.

I think he said he doesn't like using them in live pieces because it always looks really shitty and amateurish (no muzzle flash, sounds not synced, hard to realistically imitate recoil using just a prop).

Epsilon
05-30-2004, 07:07 PM
In the DVD commentary Bob also said they should have sold the 24 sketch to Sesame Street. I think they feel, like many people feel, that it was one of their weakest sketches ever.

But it's not a big deal. One so-so sketch doesn't ruin the episode. That same episode also had Ex-Siamese Twins, which was brilliant and fucking hilarious, and the Bad News Breakers, which was possibly one of the greatest ideas they ever came up with.

CptPlanet
05-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Bad News Breakers was great. They should have used Stashley more on the show.

Epsilon
05-30-2004, 09:48 PM
I haven't seen season 4 yet, but from what I hear they used Stashley in 5 of the 10 episodes.

tjamick
05-30-2004, 09:53 PM
i only remember them being in one show from s.4 and one of them was alone in another episode.

vonbontee
06-07-2005, 05:17 AM
I totally agree with kulguyssj4. "Mafia Mathematics" (or "24" or whatever) was the 2nd or 3rd sketch I'd ever seen, and it made me an instant fan. I thought it was the looniest concept for a sketch ever and still wonder what in hell could have inspired it. In fact, most of my absolute favourite sketches are those completely bizarre conceptual things, like "Audition" and "Young People/Companions" and "Van Hammersly". In my opinion, those seem to show (and require) much more thought than simplistic readymade parodies of "Cops" or Jerry Springer. That the writers/performers themselves are hating on "24" is even stranger. David Cross complains that it's just too illogical, and requires too much susension of disbelief: WTF?! Is it believable that Nostradamus (Santa Clause too!) is alive and well and still walking among us, even at age 500? That British people can fly? That an elderly woman can have an entire art museum in her ass? Why not complain about those?

In conclusion, "24" is GREAT! End of rant. (And don't get the wrong impression about my negative-sounding remarks: I still believe that 91% of their output was first-rate and on par with the works of M---y P----n, a comparison I don't make lightly.)

3v3+Z
06-07-2005, 05:23 AM
You are allowed to mention Mandy Patinkin here. No need to censor yourself.

Crazyhorse
06-08-2005, 04:50 AM
any comedy that incorporates Hitler, the Nazi Party or the Holocaust is usually funny because of its sheer tastelessness. is that even how you spell tastlessness? seems like to many s's.

3v3+Z
06-08-2005, 05:48 AM
That makes exactly as much sense as the people who reflexively DON'T think something is funny just because there's a mention of nazi stuff. Which is to say, none. No sense whatsoever.

Shock value without substance is pretty empty. I'm sure I've said it before, but I like the idea of a forum where I'm forced to hone my comedy chops because no one is shocked by anything so I have to throw down that crutch and get to the good shit. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not funny and I blame BUTM!

Crazyhorse
06-08-2005, 07:40 PM
that sounds like something Himmler would say.

Pali
06-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Steve wins.

agent_PUNT
06-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Pali
Steve wins.

hey Pali, tell us about Patton once you go see him.

yip yip yip.

Pali
06-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Unfortunately, I won't be able to see Patton til toward the end of his run (I'm off to an excavation (I'm an archaeology (I know!) student) today for a week (darn :()) so I'll give you a review as soon as I can. Maybe Mango will be around to give one sooner, then I won't have to do it!

3v3+Z
06-09-2005, 04:55 AM
)

Pali
06-09-2005, 05:14 AM
Oh, you.

whitechocolate
07-04-2005, 01:16 AM
I quite liked the 24 sketch.

6 Inch Taint
07-04-2005, 08:58 AM
The "Bloody Diapers" joke in the Marilyn Manson pizza sketch is a good example of shock humor working. I use it to test out new friends' mental capacity. I'm so lonely now...