PDA

View Full Version : what is the most Mr. Show-like SNL sketch?

scotch-romanian
06-14-2004, 02:23 PM
I was never that much of an SNL fan, but it did have a handful of sketches that I thought were really good.

I just saw the Herlihy Boy (sp) sketch again recently and kept picturing Mr. Show doing the same thing, with Bob doing Farley's character and maybe David doing Sandler's.

There aren't that many that come to mind, but that was a really smart, funny sketch.

Thoughts?

EDIT: ^ Look, this is the first real thread I ever made!

3v3+Z
06-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Some of my favorite weird SNL sketches, most of which got cut from the one hour versions that Comedy Central used to air:

"They Wanted to Fly" -- Phil Hartman was hosting this movie or play or something called "They Wanted to Fly" (or something like that). Mike Myers played the roll of a male from boyhood to an elderly man who had dreams of flying. There was a female in it as well, but I can't remember who that was. Anyway, you could clearly see wires coming from their backs, so you knew they were gonna do that cheesy flying effect YET AGAIN. Except, they never DID! They kept you waiting for it to happen, but it never happened. It was beautiful! Brought to you by "Nice Ass Pantyhose". ...or WAS it...?

"The Ridin' My Donkey Political Talk Show" -- Fucking BRILLIANT theme song sung by Will Ferrell. It sounds like he's just singing over a Herb Alpert song or something like it, not unlike the much more familiar "Astronaut Jones" (but this came first). I know Timmy Meadows was in it as well, but I don't know for sure who else. The title is pretty self explanatory beyond the theme song.

"(no clue what they named this one)" -- Another Ferrell sketch. Look past that cheerleader bullshit and he did some FINE work on that program. This time he's interviewing Pierce Brosnan for a job. I honestly think Ferrell out-Bobs BOB with his anger in this sketch, and that's without the benefit of being able to say the "fuck" word. Contains the classic line, "I AM THIS CLOSE TO RAPING YOU!"

That's it for off the top of my head.

agent_PUNT
06-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Mike Myers and uhh.. the chick from Melrose place.... the blonde chick....Spin City lady... anyways... they did a skit once about a infomercial and she was the hostess and Mike Myers was selling his product... and she kept saying things about the holocaust and stuff.... it was well done.

3v3+Z
06-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Heather Locklear, I think? I think I butchered the spelling of that, too.

There was a disclaimer at the end of that sketch when I saw the rerun, and I'm wondering if that was in the original broadcast or if that's one of those revisionist history puss-outs that they do from time to time.

Also, David Spade did a great stoned call in on that. "Ru-ral..." Hey, when exactly did Spade morph from Macaulay Culkin into Kurt Cobain? I remember seeing his hair growing out a bit when I would flip past "Just Shoot Me" (which I couldn't do fast enough), but now the transformation seems complete.

Ga Ga Gooey
06-15-2004, 11:16 AM
I always thought that skit would have been better if when she attacked Arabs or Sikhs, no one called in.

Although, I suppose people hated the brown ones less pre-911. My parents were just ahead of their time.

This site is fucking hilarious by the way. Actually, just Tjmajick and agent punt are funny. The rest of you should be gassed and scavenged for dental fillings.

tjamick
06-15-2004, 12:34 PM
i had proposed that exact same thing to mr. admin about a month ago, but he wouldnt go for it.

mad tv fan
06-15-2004, 03:19 PM
look ga ga gooey tjamick is my brother and if you think he is funny you must have the IQ of a muffin, or atleast an onion bagel.

tjamick
06-15-2004, 04:30 PM
youre everbodys brother. and by the way, stop touching the base of my penis when i'm asleep. its not that i dont like it (i do) but i just dont think i'm ready for parenthood yet.

Epsilon
06-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Schwetty Balls!

Best.SNL.Skit.ever.

5+EvE
06-15-2004, 05:31 PM
O-key-doke! Everybody throw on your flame-retardant P.J.s! It's TOTAL BASTARD TIME!!!

Here's to good friends
Tonight is kinda special...

Come on, everyone! Sing along! Y'all know the "Low Brow" song, right?

"Schwetty Balls"????? Are you fucking KIDDING me. Yes, I got some chuckles out of it. I'm not made of stone. That thing that passed through my urethra a week-and-a-half ago was just a fluke. At any rate, "Schwetty Balls" and "Schwetty Cock" or whatever the fuck the other one was, they were CHEEP!!! It was all cheep PUNS!!! And it went on for-fucking-EVER! Does that sound like "Mr. Show" to you??? More like "Mad TV"! (No offense there, Fanny-Man!)

And what's with this "Herlihy Boy" bullshit? It's like, "Sandler! Farley! We've got 6 minutes to kill. Go do something. I don't care what." It'd be like if Bob & David dragged out "Who wants a banana?" for 6 minutes.

ALL y'all SUCK! Except that dude with the backwards Zorro thing-deal on his avatar. That guy is funny as FUCK! And I know a thing or two about laughter during fucking!

Epsilon
06-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Another SNL skit I liked (I don't recall the name of it) is the one where Chris Farley was a motivational speaker who lived in a van down by the river. The host on that episode was Christina Applegate. It's on Farley's Best Of video.

3v3+Z
06-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Of course, Bob wrote that one, as we've discussed here many times before.

kulguyssj4
06-16-2004, 08:53 PM
I am going to get flamed for this but I whenever I think of the skit in SNL with Dana Carvey doing the Broccoli song it brings a tear to my eye. I can imagine Dana being played by David and Phil by Bob. David this disgruntled teenager/slacker who wants to be a musician.

Dana:
She's chopping broccoli
She's chopping broccolay
she's choppin' broccoli
she's choppin' brocolay
SHE'S CHOPPIN' BROCOLEE!!
SHE'S CHOPPIN' BROCOLAYAY!!

amber
06-21-2004, 04:09 AM
mine is a ferrel sketch too. well, not really a sketch, just a few lines on weekend update. "norm, if you were a hotdog, would you eat yourself?" and then something about stairing at the sun for an hour, i cant remember exactly, but it was funny as shit. and i liked ferrel as james lipton interviewing screach, but i dont really remember any of the specifics of that sketch either.

3v3+Z
06-21-2004, 05:13 AM
There's this other Ferrell sketch that I love where he played a doctor. I think he did this one a couple times, but the one thing that stands out to me is, he's sitting behind his desk just about to break some bad news to this couple in his office. The phone rings and he tells 'em to hang on. He says (and I'm paraphrasing, of course), "Hello... No, I'm not busy... Yes, I remember your cousin Robert... YES! I LOVE Hungry, Hungry Hippos! ...No, I DIDN'T realize they had tournaments... Third place?! That's FANTASTIC!!!" It was a beautiful thing. I think that's the same one where Molly Shannon played his secretary, despite the fact that she had just left the show maybe a week or two earlier. Anyway, Will made a point of referring to her "character" as "Molly Shannon" (first & last name) several times.

Maybe you had to be there...

Speaking of "had to be there", there were quite a few strange, interesting, densely layered sketches in the EARLY Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman era. One was something about a Tiny-Tiny Café (which may have been the actual name of it) that only fit about five people. Jon Lovitz and Nora (you are) Dunn were the musical entertainment, singing songs like "Send In the Clowns" that were translated from English to French, then back into English.

Or another one from that era that I remember being very thickly written, although I can't remember many details except for a PHENOMENAL performance form Victoria Jackson where she sang this AMAZING bad version of "Stormy Weather"... I gotta look that up because I KNOW there was some other great stuff in that sketch, but I can't remember. So I'll be right back, but you're not even gonna notice I've gone because you're gonna read this all at once. See, that just took me a long-ass time, and you'll never know it. But it was all for nothing, 'cuz I couldn't find anything I wanted to talk about about the sketch. I think Walter Payton was in it, if that helps anybody. Nobody cares.

dane atkinson
06-23-2004, 03:53 PM
why hasnt anybody said the sketch with chris walken when its like the dead zone, but he predicts meaningless things, like that there would be too much mayonaise on the guys sandwich.....or the continental....how about anything with walken....

quartersmostly
06-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Has any one seen the sketch with the meeting of the Mr. Belvedere fan club. It's really bizzare, they talk about keeping Mr. Belvedere in a jar in their basement. They also come up with a code name for Mr. Belveder "Brocktune". It's pretty damn funny.

3v3+Z
06-23-2004, 06:29 PM
YES! You win, Mr. 25˘ guy!!! THAT'S the one!!! Sandler says something like "I SHOULD enjoy watching 'Mr. Belvedere', but I SHOULDN'T have to masturbate at the completion of every episode." Then Tom Hanks, who's heading up the meeting, says, "GOOD! Discipline! NEXT!" And Phil Hartman very calmly says something like, "I SHOULD want to make a nice meal for him, but I should NOT want to cut into him; to tear the flesh; to wear the flesh; to enter new worlds where his flesh becomes my key." That was fucking BEAUTIFUL!

Was that when Bob was a writer? I'm thinking it was. I wonder if that's one of his. But he was a writer the season before that for sure, because he did a CAMEO as Abe Lincoln where he called Tom Hanks a "PUSSY!" That may be a historic first for SNL, using the word "pussy" in a strictly derogatory sense with no double meaning. Bob ruled even then, before anyone knew who the fuck he was!

quartersmostly
06-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Exactly, I'm glad somebody else has seen that sketch. My brother and I have been telling people about it for years and I've only found one other person who knows what I'm talking about.

merkwurkdiglieb
06-25-2004, 02:25 PM
The guy who played Mr. Belvedere fan club was awesomely Mr. Show-like!

I dunno if anybody mentioned this (because I can't read), but does anybody remember Philadelphia action figures? I thought that was pretty Mr. Show-like.

quartersmostly
06-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Also really funny. Know people are starting to come up with some good ones. Is it possible to find out who was the main writer of these sketches?

CptPlanet
06-25-2004, 03:37 PM
that one with those cheerleaders with will ferrel man that shit was great it's like "how do they think of this stuff!"

jtr115
06-25-2004, 03:48 PM
The part of the "Teeny Café" sketch I liked was when the husband went to the bathroom and there was an attendant inside, even though it was just a small bathroom with one toilet.

TwoStates
06-25-2004, 04:23 PM
I actually think the most Mr. Show-esque moment was when they had the fake commercial for the Valentine soundtrack, and it had band names such as "Pi Eating Contest", and of course "Cr". Hilarity, people.

3v3+Z
06-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that "Valentine" soundtrack was funny. I don't know that it was Mr. Show-like exactly. I mean, it was strange for SNL. I remember watching it wondering if I was the only one who GOT it. But it was JUST a list of band names. Somehow I don't picture that being a B&D thing. It WAS great though.

And I had forgotten 'til 25˘ just kind of brought it up, but I think "The Guy Who Played Mr. Belvedere Fan Club" was actually the NAME of their club! That's GREAT! they're OBSESSED fans! They're, like, sick-in-the-head obsessed. Yet they can't even be bothered to look up the actor's NAME! (Nor can I, but who cares.)

chucknoblet
06-25-2004, 05:48 PM
i think that the sketch where chris parnell was doing a campaign commercial to be the leader of the island he and a bunch of other people were stranded on is quite mr. show-like.

JoshG123
06-25-2004, 06:04 PM
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/91sbelvedere.phtml

Here's a link to a script of "The Guy Who Plays Mr. Belvedere Fanclub"

3v3+Z
06-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks for that link.

See also: Jerry "Steve" Dave (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/96/96tjerry.phtml), The Census (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/99/99pcensus.phtml), Shirtless Bible Salesmen (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/97/97pbible.phtml), (and one NON-Timmy) Tales of Fraud and Malfeasance in Railroad Hiring Practices (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/94/94nrailroad.phtml)

You know what? Timmy Meadows did some GREAT stuff! I remember reading about Chris Rock complaining about having to always play "the black guy", whereas when he went to "In Living Color" so much of the cast was black that he could just be "A guy". Am I saying that right? Rock felt everything he did had to be from a black perspective. Timmy seems to have transcended that. These characters I just mentioned that he did didn't HAVE to be played by black people. Of course, he had probably been on the show about eight seasons BEFORE he got that kind of freedom.

Here's a couple I brought up before:

Crazy Doctor (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00qdoctor.phtml), Angry Boss (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00roffice.phtml)

"Now, get up! GET UP, you CRAZY BLACK MAN! I’m going to make you DRINK my PISS!!"

Fancy_Pants
06-28-2004, 02:45 PM
I thought that the Jingle Heimer Juction skit where people with Letters (U,C,K,F) arrange into the order. the whole basis for the skit was Tim Meadows trying to stop Friendly Fred From moving to the front of the line

chucknoblet
06-28-2004, 03:45 PM
The new birthday song skit with Jack black felt almost exactly like the 'dont stick your dick in those 3 holes' skit, but i guess that's pretty obvious. dur huh.

Officer Koon
07-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Maybe this has already been addressed (several times, even), but surely Mr. Show fans realize that Will Ferrell's James Lipton is ostensibly a direct rip-off of David's Lipton, which he performed at least 2 years before Ferrell (Season 3). Fair enough, James Lipton's pompous sycophantry is so great that pretty much anyone would pick up on it, but still, the sketch with David and Jay where David ends up washing Jay's feet seems to me to be a blueprint for the ensuing SNL Lipton send-ups.

3v3+Z
07-04-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't think Ferrell lifted anything directly from Cross. They're both doing an impression of the same guy! TONS of comedians have ripped on Lipton. (Perhaps TOO many! It's hack by now. It's like Starbucks! Yeah, we know, there's a LOT of 'em. We GET it. We've HEARD it. Let it GO! Why don't ya just do 10 minutes on airplane food.) It's like, you can do an impression of George (Herbert Walker) Bush or Robin Leach, but the minute you start saying, "Na' ga' da'!" or "I don't know WHYYYYYYYYYY!" you're doing DANA CARVEY doing Bush or Leach. I don't think Ferrell did anything like that.

Anyway, back to my parenthetical point about Starbucks: I wonder -- and I'm VERY serious about this -- if Starbucks is actually PAYING people to put them in their acts! I've see A LOT of otherwise-decent comedians with a hack-ass Starbucks bit in their act! In fact, Starbucks is paying ME to post this message!!! As we speak, someone from the art division of their advertising department is working on a new avatar for me. It's like the Starbucks logo, but the "S"s are backwards "Z"s.

agent_PUNT
07-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Lewis Black did a pretty funny bit about Starbucks on the Daily Show.. look for it on whatever file sharing program you kids use these days...

quartersmostly
07-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Are you refering to Lewis Blacks "end of the universe" bit? That's also on his cd by the same title which is fucking hi-larious. Even if Starbucks is an overused topic.

agent_PUNT
07-07-2004, 08:46 AM
thank you quarters....

is that CD worth picking up?

CptPlanet
07-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Officer Koon
Maybe this has already been addressed (several times, even), but surely Mr. Show fans realize that Will Ferrell's James Lipton is ostensibly a direct rip-off of David's Lipton, which he performed at least 2 years before Ferrell (Season 3). Fair enough, James Lipton's pompous sycophantry is so great that pretty much anyone would pick up on it, but still, the sketch with David and Jay where David ends up washing Jay's feet seems to me to be a blueprint for the ensuing SNL Lipton send-ups.

This is nitpicky, but Bob was playing James Lipton in that scene. Although David did some pretty good material on him in his stand up act.

3v3+Z
07-07-2004, 04:49 PM
That's not "nitpicky", but is it correct? I'm trying to remember a scene where Bob did Lipton. The one I'm thinking of is "Inside the Actor" from Season 4 (not 3), and that was David. I tried to Google it and came up with too many confusing results to sift through, but I did find this interview (http://www.venuszine.com/stories/arts_featured_artist/620) with Crossy. Haven't read it yet.