PDA

View Full Version : Girls guitar club

tjamick
07-19-2004, 06:53 PM
does anybody know where i can download some stuff from some of their preformances? a friend of mine had a bootleg tape from when he went to LA a few weeks ago, and i'd really like to hear more of their stuff.
thanks.

3v3+Z
07-19-2004, 07:34 PM
I noticed on IMDb (http://imdb.com/title/tt0372300/) that they made a short (14 minute) film in 2001, but I have no idea where you can see that. They were on "Late Friday" on NBC back before Carcinogen took over that fucking slot. Good stuff. I should check the p2ps for that my-own-self.

tjamick
07-19-2004, 07:44 PM
i just watched it, but would like some audio files. the short is great, though it has some strong resemblances to the tenacious d show. Here's a link. (http://www.ruben.fm/ggc.html)

3v3+Z
07-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Wow! Thanks for the link. I probably could've found that pretty easily myself, huh? Definitely derivative of the D, but definitely something special in their own right.

I doubt I'll get an answer to this here, but I wanna know what kind of guitar that was Karen was playing at the end. I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that.

So when is Mary Lynn gonna become, like, super famous so I can casually drop into conversations the fact that we went to the same high school? Never mind the fact that I never knew her AT ALL. Seriously, not a single word was ever exchanged. I'm not saying that as a criticism, by the way. We were never in any of the same classes or extracurricular activities together, and she was, I think, two years ahead of me, so the whole exchanging of words thing just never came up. How the hell was I supposed to know she was cool as hell?

tjamick
07-19-2004, 08:43 PM
you bastard. now you know why you have to be a perfect little social butter-fly and talk with every single student of you school.

3v3+Z
07-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Oh sure! Way to add insult to kicking salt in the wound of horse when he's down and injured and dead and stuff.

CptPlanet
07-19-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure if this answers any of your questions but I'd like to fuck them both.

Hope that helps! :)

tjamick
07-19-2004, 09:04 PM
who wouldnt? all of us young hipsters are down with the ggc.

"they're nifty*!" says 18-year-old greg kipler

*said about his collection of trucker hats

3v3+Z
07-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by CptPlanet
I'm not sure if this answers any of your questions but I'd like to fuck them both.

Hope that helps! :)

Absolutely. That tells me EXACTLY what kind of guitar that was.

But if I may be serious for a moment, The Bible says you're not supposed to feel tingly when girls hug and say they love each other, SINNER!

tjamick
07-19-2004, 09:07 PM
the bible also says other stuff, but the only reason i ever attended church was for the molestation.

3v3+Z
07-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Father Wallace? Is that YOU?

3v3+Z
07-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Hey, check out "The Hitman" (http://www.ruben.fm/hitman.html)! Rice-Cub, Tompkins, & Paul Greenberg. Quality shit!

tjamick
07-19-2004, 09:56 PM
thanks, i'll cheack that out.

Pali
07-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Well that was fecking great, best short film I've seen since 'My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117'

And I have never heard of Girls Guitar Club, you people should enlighten me.

3v3+Z
07-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Pali
...I have never heard of Girls Guitar Club, you people should enlighten me.

If you watched the short that TeeeeeJ posted a link to, I think you're about as enlightened as any of us.

Pali
07-19-2004, 10:50 PM
I gotta stop skimming through threads, because I didn't.

The musician with the beard who keeps coming into the store, is that E from the Eels?

CptPlanet
07-19-2004, 11:31 PM
That's such a British thing to do.

3v3+Z
07-20-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Pali
E?

Yup.

Grant-Lee Phillips is involved in both of those in some way too.

kulguyssj4
07-20-2004, 08:46 AM
PRAGUE, FOOL! CHECK OUT THE CLOUDS!!! YEAH, WOLFIE, CHECK OUT THE CLOUDS FOOL!

Pig Josh
07-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Maybe it's the booze talkin', but didn't the other one (the one that's not Mary Lynn) used to be a lil'... uhh... "heavy"?

And speaking of Mary Lynn, this thread on imdb really cracks me up for some reason: http://imdb.com/name/nm0707476/board/nest/3505139

PS: 3v3+Z, y'all from Royal Oak or something? I love her Say Nice Things About Detroit shirt.

tjamick
07-20-2004, 01:13 PM
yeah she was. at first i thought it was some one that just looked a lot like her.

3v3+Z
07-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Pig Josh
And speaking of Mary Lynn, this thread on imdb really cracks me up for some reason: http://imdb.com/name/nm0707476/board/nest/3505139

Ouch! People can just be fucking BRUTAL in these forums! Ever hear George Carlin's thing about how big an asshole someone is depends on their proximity to you? If they're standing right next to you, you'll whisper "This guy's a real asshole", but if they're whizzing past you on the freeway, you'll shout "WOAH!!! LOOK at that ASSHOLE GO!!!" It always reminds me of that.

I can totally see people having such widely varied opinions on her looks though. I mean, you would have to admit that she has a UNIQUE face, regardless of whether you think that's good or bad. (Works for me. :p ) I remember the first time I saw her on TV. She was on this little show on Comedy Central that didn't last long. I just kind of freaked out. I'm like, "Could that be that chick from high school???" Then I'm like, "How could it NOT be? NO ONE else looks like that!" I didn't even know what her name was, but it was just bizarre to see someone from my tiny hometown on a basic cable TV show that very few people ever saw. Madonna was, like, one of the biggest stars in the world for a while, and she was from Michigan, and I couldn't have cared less. But for this girl I never knew to get some tiny amount of national exposure seemed kinda special.

Anyway, we're from Trenton, Michigan. If you listen closely to the commentary on the "Recruiters" sketch (I think) they make a VERY brief reference to that. Don't blink your ears.

If y'all are good, maybe someday I'll tell you the story about me working for Mary Lynn's mom.

tjamick
07-20-2004, 03:02 PM
i've never had an opinion to her looks either way, but she (and karen) were fucking hot in that ggc video.

Pig Josh
07-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Agreed. I think they're hot. Seems like Sarah Silverman would give you chlamydia or something.

So does Mary Lynn's mom have the pouty face thing, too? It's funny how divided the consensus is on her.

tjamick
07-20-2004, 03:15 PM
i think the chlamydia would have origanated from jimmy kimel.

3v3+Z
07-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Pig Josh
So does Mary Lynn's mom have the pouty face thing, too?

I couldn't really see the resemblance there to be honest. I do remember seeing someone walk through there with similar features one day though. Maybe a younger sister or something. I didn't ask.

Anyway, I was working in this little drug store for a short while. I'm not sure what her mom's title was, but I know she was in a much higher position than I was. I was just selling liquor and lottery tickets. Her mom came over by my counter one day with this coffee mug that had a picture on it of Mary Lynn and David Cross. I thought that seemed REALLY odd, having pictures of J.V. celebrities on a coffee mug. Frankly it would even be strange to have an A-list celebrity on a coffee mug. So I asked her something about it, tactfully of course. She said, "OH! That's my daughter and her ex-boyfriend! She was on 'Mr. Show' and next season she's gonna be on 'Larry Sanders'!" I didn't have HBO at that point and I had never seen either show. I knew there was quite a bit of a buzz about 'em, but I didn't have first hand knowledge of just how hip those shows were until later.

So, for those of you who didn't know, that's how Miss Rajskub got -- and lost -- the gig as the "Hey everybody! It's Bob & David!" chick. By sticking a Cross up her... no, I can't say that. It's just wrong!

Pig Josh
07-20-2004, 04:50 PM
It's all coming together. Thanks for the story.

RizzleMcIzzle
07-20-2004, 06:28 PM
So what has become of the mug?

Well, it's cool that you went to the same school as her, Steve. I wish I had a story like that. All I have is a hat from a store that Paul F. Tompkins mentions in 'The Return of the Curse of the Creature's Ghost' commentary.

Those girls were definitely hot in the GGC video, Teej. In fact, I feel that all girls should carry guitars around now.

tjamick
07-20-2004, 06:35 PM
i've been pushing for a legestlastion that forces all women to A) be attractive B) carry guitars with them everywhere they go and C) have an ounce of pot on them at all times. so far the only supporters are jesse "the body" ventura and ted theodore kennedy esq.

CptPlanet
07-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Mary Lynn is at her hottest when she's saying things like "SUCK MY DICK"

tjamick
07-20-2004, 06:45 PM
or when she's crying.:D

CptPlanet
07-20-2004, 06:48 PM
You're a fucking rapist.

tjamick
07-20-2004, 06:52 PM
it doesnt count as rape if youre already going out.

chucknoblet
07-21-2004, 12:48 PM
here's another short with paul:
http://www.soulmatestheshort.com/download.html

3v3+Z
07-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Interesting. What ever happened to "The Vacant Lot" anyway?

Dana Gould is pretty cool. At least Greenberg's being used somewhere other than those thumb films.

Music by Eban, in case you didn't notice.

Pig Josh
07-22-2004, 03:30 PM
I just saw that Mary Lynn is gonna be doing stand-up at Bumbershoot, for you pathetic bastards that live in Seattle.

quartersmostly
07-23-2004, 01:01 PM
I am one of those pathetic bastards so thanks for the heads up. I'm sure that David will be there too, he's been there for the last 5 years that I can remember, and the last couple were unannounced. Also I heard that there is a good chance he will be performing in Seattle in late Sept. I'll let you know when that confirms.

Pig Josh
07-23-2004, 04:41 PM
No shit? I was thinking DC wouldn't be at this one cuz he's in the UK until like the 28th of August, but I guess it's possible. I've never seen him at Bumbershoot before. He was great when I saw him at the UW in February or whatever.

quartersmostly
07-23-2004, 05:16 PM
He doesn't always do stand up. He does wierd skits and such. A couple years ago it was him Mary Lynn Karen Kilgarif and Paul F. Thompkins reading this really bad script that David was sent. It was damn funny.

scotch-romanian
11-28-2004, 02:46 AM
yeah, Karen Kilgariff is hot when she's not a lard ass.

did any of you notice that the recording studio guy in the short film is the hippie from the "generations" episode of Mr. Show (Season 2)?

I did.

3v3+Z
11-28-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by scotch-romanian
yeah, Karen Kilgariff is hot when she's not a lard ass.
You should write a book on pickup lines. I'm not kidding. You should. Seriously. Seriously.

scotch-romanian
11-28-2004, 05:40 PM
keep in mind, i still think saturday night live is funny...

and if i did write a book like that, it would get all this wide acclaim since i'm in a wheelchair.

11-28-2004, 07:22 PM
the actor who played the recording studio engineer (and the hippie on mr. show) is david "gruber" allen, who was in the pre-comedy central show "the higgins boys and gruber," starring david anthony higgins (criag on "malcolm in the middle"), his brother steve higgins (snl writer from 1995-present) and written by mst3k's joel hodgson.
allen was also the guidence counselor on "freaks and geeks," plays the hippie/activist on all your favorite shows ("news radio," "arrested development," "king of the hill," "tenacious d" [the hbo show], and others), and is the naked trucker (of the naked trucker and t-bone fame) with david koechner (clay from <i>run ronnie run</i>, champ kind from <i>anchorman</i>).

CptPlanet
11-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Good gravy guest. You know a fucking ton.

freetibetwpurch
11-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Kelly Gilronan!

fritter
11-28-2004, 10:33 PM
a master at " " and run-on sentences, however. without a tragic flaw, genius can be quite overbearing.

apotatojudge
12-18-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by CptPlanet

PS: In real life that "friend" I described is me. HA HA HA Julie I beat you.

How did I miss this?

Anyway...

After I read what you wrote, but before I read your P.S., I was thinking about how you said that if I met any of your friends to not get freaked out if they come up and say something dumb, like, "Hey, did you guys have sex yet?"

The End.