BUTM Community Home Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home   Home

Go Back   BUTM Community > Artist Discussion > Mr. Show & Cast > ben Stiller and cast?

View Today's Active Threads
Welcome to the BUTM Community.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Post New Thread Reply

Tenaciousd1212
Still Thinks Sat Night Live is Funny

ben Stiller and cast?

Hey, have there been loose ends wih Ben Stiller and the cast of his show and the cast of Mr. Show? After The Cable Guy, I have yet to see Bob or David in anything related, with the exception of season 2 of Mr. Show and Run Ronnie Run Cameo. Andy Dick has definately fallen out with the guys of Mr. show, with his exclusion from RRR and the cut scene from "Operation Hell on Earth" episode of Mr. Show. Garafalo has also had no ties with Mr. Show.
I also ask to myself why no one from Mr. Show has appeared in Stillers most famous movies, even in cameos: My examples:
Meet The Parents
Along Came Polly
Zoolander
The Royal Tenenbaums.

We can at least hope that someone from mr. Show will have a role in the upcoming "Meet the Fockers", unless Stiller is an ungrateful bastard.
Sure the republicans are supporting Nadars campaign, and there's a superior being who watches over every person at every second and judges people on their actions which overall decide where a person goes when they die. You've been reading too many comic books buddy.
02-04-2004, 09:16 PM Tenaciousd1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
orin graham
Ali G's Half Brother

i just recently acquired the ben stiller show dvd's and watched them all front to back for the first time. i can't say that i think much for the program en-toto, but there were a couple shimmering facets. in episode two i literally fell over in laughter while watching tom cruise:dress casual. the skit goes from "tom" saying lines, to riotous applause, portraying his former characters, into a broadway dance theme where he rips his pullaway flight suit off and slides offstage in a one-piece spandex suit (with leg warmers) only to appear behind the bar for a cocktail dance riff. then the real genius is unveiled as "tom" throws his prop handles of liquor to stage left and leaps gracefully, with a shit-eating grin on his face, to seamlessly catch a thrown pool cue. he then, subsequently, lands on a pool table where he waves around his stick and begins an even better dance number. then the clincher: "tom" sprints and jumps off the pool table to slide, yet again, (this time backwards and with a white sequined shirt and underwear) into a risky business finale, where the first eight notes of "old time rock'n roll" are played and "tom" gives the crazed, phantom crowd a knowing smile and throws up his palms as if to say "yeah, i know...applaud over my bufoonishness, sycophants!" this skit is, in my eyes, a beautiful work of comedic genius. the second skit that i thought was uproriously funny was "low-budget tales of cliched horror" where ben plays late night radio host damien faustman, "the man who hates everybody almost as much as he hates himself." this is an amazing circular scene in which we see faustman chain smoking and insulting his call-in's; telling them that they're pathetic for listening, and that he hate's them all. the story moves on to faustman hearing the taunting voice of the devil mocking him and trying to make faustman say who he is. eventually faustman breaks down and cries out "i'm not going with you to he-el!" faustman then turns into a cloven-hoofed servant demon, and is ambivalent about his own personal hell. i thought that this skit was very unusual insofar as skits go, but i think that i liked it for that reason. stiller nailed the essence of faustman.

if anybody else would like to share thoughts on a particular skit, i'd be interested to discuss some of the goings-on, as-it-were.
02-06-2004, 08:47 PM orin graham is offline   Reply With Quote
keepthechaaange
Didn't Laugh Once During Royal Tenenbaums

my favorite "ben stiller show" sketches have got to be either the first "skank" sketch or the lassie spoof w/ charles manson. of course, "the legend of t.j. o'pootertoot" is definitely up there, mostly because it's practically a mr. show sketch since bob, david, and dino are all in it and david wrote it.

SHUT YOUR STINKIN' TRAP!
02-09-2004, 06:33 PM keepthechaaange is offline   Reply With Quote
pollypry
no

Send a message via AIM to pollypry
Uh, yeah, but Ben really had no control in the creation of any of those movies, excluding Zoolander. You kinda have to be a dick to simply be cast in a movie and walk up to the director or producers and say "hey, how about we let some of my friends in here? you can pay them, try to work them into an already completed cast and script, it'll be great!"

And if I were them I too would probably try to distance myself as much as possible from Andy Dick...
02-09-2004, 09:26 PM pollypry is offline   Reply With Quote
keepthechaaange
Didn't Laugh Once During Royal Tenenbaums

janeane garafelo(wow, i totally fucked the spelling on that one) was in "reality bites" and "mystery men", both being stiller films. and she was in a couple of mr. show sketches (the pit pat sketch and the sketch where the 2 college guys are doing the mtv show parody in the anne frank house though janeane just walked through that one as a part of the tour group).

i think the actors/actresses associated with either show would rather find their own work than have it just given to them. it kind of validates your reasons for being an actor if you can find your own work and not just have your friends give you work (although if it were me, i'd be begging ben stiller to give me a big role in a movie of his).
02-12-2004, 02:18 PM keepthechaaange is offline   Reply With Quote
OddFellows001
Never Heard The Spam Song

Send a message via AIM to OddFellows001
I think one thing that you're overlooking is that, more or less, they're all friends. Andy Dick had a LOT of drug problems, but he was more than just a cast member. Many of these people came into the comedy business together in Chicago, Boston, and L.A., so of course they're going to help eachother out. Stiller knows how talented Odenkirk, Garofalo, and Dick are, so why not use them as much as possible? The same goes for Bob, who used all three of his former cast members in Mr. Show (Garofalo in "Bag Hutch," Stiller as the "I'm no economist" economist, and Andy Dick in the edited-out Eleanor Roosevelt "my father touched my butthole" interstitial).

I think it's also important to see where the people are in their careers and lives. Ben's star has risen slowly but surely, Janeane has made a move towards political criticism on shows like Hannity and Colmes? and O'Reilly, Bob has really concentrated on directing and writing and, well, Andy Dick is clawing his way back into the spotlight without falling into a relapse. They're different people than they were in '92. In spite of how different they may be, Ben Stiller can still go on shows like Conan and joke about Andy Dick and Janeane and Bob can still perform together. I'm sure there are plenty of talents who don't get any help from anybody. You work your ass off and you help yourself, but occasionally there comes a time when a group of people can come together and help eachother. Maybe that's what Stiller was.

GEOFF
02-12-2004, 04:46 PM OddFellows001 is offline   Reply With Quote
orin graham
Ali G's Half Brother

my favorite author is John Kennedy Toole.
02-12-2004, 11:33 PM orin graham is offline   Reply With Quote
dane atkinson
What is a young people?

Send a message via AIM to dane atkinson
my favs on the stiller dvd are the die hard parody (i think taylor negron does an awesome job in that one)......the manson sketches are awesome, mainly because of bob.....cape fear with eddie munster.....and on the deleted scenes, or was it the extra episode, with the mascot olympics....when ben plays that weird looking celebrity.......also, a question, do you guys watch with the commentary on???? i would think you do, but the commentary is always helpful to understand some things about the show or just find out where ideas came from.....
alexis: really?
nostradamus: ........no......
02-16-2004, 09:49 AM dane atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
VanHammersly42

when i got the dvd, the funniest part was probably on the outtakes on the special features section. It's from one of the Manson sketches where bob is by himself and the director is telling him to speak gibberish over and over again until they get something that they like. The shit that came out of bob's mouth was the most insane, absurd string of ideas i've ever heard come out of him. It just made me appreciate him as an actor more.
02-16-2004, 11:50 AM VanHammersly42 is offline   Reply With Quote
dane atkinson
What is a young people?

Send a message via AIM to dane atkinson
Quote:
Originally posted by VanHammersly42
when i got the dvd, the funniest part was probably on the outtakes on the special features section. It's from one of the Manson sketches where bob is by himself and the director is telling him to speak gibberish over and over again until they get something that they like. The shit that came out of bob's mouth was the most insane, absurd string of ideas i've ever heard come out of him. It just made me appreciate him as an actor more.
true that........it shows how much of a great improv actor he is......oh, and i also like when stiller does that guy that says..do it, do it, do it, cmon, do it, cmon......that is so fuckin funny
alexis: really?
nostradamus: ........no......
02-17-2004, 02:03 AM dane atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
VanHammersly42

Tony Bobbins...that's all I'm gonna say.

"Then I'm going to hypnotize you with my teeth!"

Last edited by VanHammersly42 : 02-17-2004 at 06:44 PM.
02-17-2004, 12:52 PM VanHammersly42 is offline   Reply With Quote
brooks
Loves Carrot Top

First post ever on BUTM, not that anyone cares.

The bit, 'Tom Cruise: Dress Casual' may be the highlight of the entire show for me. I really can't get enough of it, even though I usually don't like celebrity send-ups (a la SNL). In that bit 'Advantage Agassi' (which is fairly funny overall) the absolute best part is when Odenkirk's super-villain says, "Blow him... away!" and makes this wonderful hand gesture for emphasis. Odenkirk really is the best part about that sketch.
02-20-2004, 02:32 PM brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
JuanBallsac
Used To Date Sarah Silverman

what about the dandruff skit.

fuckin hilarity.
02-20-2004, 11:26 PM JuanBallsac is offline   Reply With Quote
CherryVineGurl

Send a message via AIM to CherryVineGurl Send a message via Yahoo to CherryVineGurl
Who's the best east or west
T.J O'POOTERTOOT!

IT'S PEOPLE! POOTERBALLS ARE MADE OUT OF PEOPLE!

YOU ARE FILLED WITH SO MUCH HATE AND I THINK THAT'S REALLY GREAT!

I'm a huge Ben Stiller Show, Mr.Show, & Tenacious D show dork.

Have you seen David Cross in Waiting For Guffman? He has a small part, but it's great. David & Bob were also in Ghost World when David hit on one of the girls. I hope other people know this b/c I feel like a huge idiot to know all this.

~FIGNUTS~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrshowcast.jpg (15.3 KB, 91 views)
02-27-2004, 05:29 PM CherryVineGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
action park

Bob was in Ghost World?
02-28-2004, 05:16 AM   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply